We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines

Wellington, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Airlines

Travelling with Singapore Airlines later in 2018. Does anyone know when/if they have a seat sale? We hope to travel Business Class so what type of aircraft do they use from London? Many thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
17 replies to this topic
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airlines

They fly a mixture of A380 and B777 depending on which of the flights a day you want. If you do a dummy booking on the website you can see which aircraft fly which times together with a seating plan.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airlines

Sales vary - but they usually have two or three during the year and one is due to push sales after the busy Christmas period to sell seats over the next few quiet months.

From LHR there are 4 flights a day, two around lunchtime-ish that get into Singapore in the morning and two in the evening that get into Singapore in the mid to late afternoon. Of those flights there are 2 A380s - one of which is all business upstairs and one has an upstairs economy cabin section as well as business class, and 2 777s - each time group has one A380 and 1 777. If you do a dummy booking or a flight schedule check on the Singapore Airlines website then you can see which plane is currently assigned to which flight.

Bear in mind that there may well be minor schedule changes through the year on precise times - they don't often do major ones, the last major change was when they moved the old 6pmish flight back to a later evening flight time (pity as I liked that 6pm take off timing).

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Wellington, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airlines

myrm thank you for that concise information. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the January sales..................

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airlines

Sandra-Eyles, hi

As alternative to SQ, I would also suggest to have a look at Qatar airways. Their business class product is unparalleled, and price are better than in SQ.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airlines

Having flown both airlines business class and economy class recently, I would place the onboard seating area on SQ a tiny bit more comfortable and the IFE superior for my tastes. Qatar has a bar area on A380 flights, which SQ does not have. The food on SQ I preferred. Service was even, both sets of aircrew are truly high class. The Qatar LHR business class lounge beats the SilverKris lounge, and the one in Doha is astounding, although Changi's SQ lounge goes for understated quiet style and has the facilities - the Qatar Doha lounge goes for spectacular.

The timings of flights to SIN however aren't great for my purposes - they squeal jetlag issues at me in a way the direct flight LHR to Sin of SQ despite getting lower prices.

I go SQ when I can and Qatar is my next choice - there's a reason both get a Skytrax five star rating as both are great airlines. I would say for the LHR to SIN run its the direct flight at sensible sleep/wake timings that that gets me everytime - I am prepared to pay a little extra for not having a few days of my holiday lost to jetlag. If you do go for Qatar do keep flexible dates as we found that moving a day or two can make a big difference in how busy Qatar is and so the price is affected quite a bit.

I would also note that the SQ sales are primarily aimed at the economy cabin when I have looked at them....while there is some movement on the business class prices, the LHR to SIN route is always busy in business. So if you get a decent price on a business saver for example grab it because a sale price on a higher fare bucket later in time may not be as good as a regular price lower fare bucket available before many tickets are sold.

Edited: 06 December 2017, 19:22
Mentioned in this post
SIA Silver Kris Lounge
SIA Silver Kris Lounge
160 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Wellington, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Airlines

Interesting Schonefeld. I hadn't even considered them as I always thought they were more expensive. Thank you.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Airlines

Price will depend on routing, because it isn't distance flow that determines final price often flights through a hub can come with good prices to attract passengers, direct flights rather than bouncing will carry premiums. Also the cost an airlines charges to a person in the UK can vary to prices charged in other territories....my dad always got his company to buy his economy tickets in the UK and business in Singapore in the 90s because it affected price, so marketing and supply and demand affects the price too.

That said the premium for direct flights over bouncing midway does mean many Middle Eastern airlines are cheaper than BA, KLM, SQ etc on their Europe to Singapore routes, its a matter of checkin and being sure the flights work for your timing and the reduction is worth that.

Edited: 06 December 2017, 19:56
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Airlines

Sandra-Eyles, you are most welcome.

In my experience Qatar prices always beat SQ, at least on MY dates of travel...LOL

But both options are superb and both are 5 start airlines.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Airlines

We are flying BA Business - I found that a lot cheaper than Singapore Airlines, and also the seat pitch is greater - please check that out, unless it has changed recently? Last time we tried to reach Singapore in 2013 it was awful!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
London
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Airlines

I would reject Quatar on the grounds that it has upset its neighbours who are making life difficult and I would not want my holiday at risk from the political uncertainty of the Middle East. Also a stopping flight is (nearly) always cheaper than a direct. When I fly, I want the plane to take m direct to my destination, not dump me in a shopping Mall for a few hours partway though the journey.

If flying from London, flying in an A380 will be a much more pleasant experience than travelling in a 777 so would recommend ensuring you fly in an A380. I know Singapore has a fine reputation but confess I have only flown then around SE Asia and it seems OK - admittedly this was in Third Class. I have looked at Singapore but the cost of Business is too close to the cost of BA's First and use this as an excuse to fly First with BA. Getting the tickets in the January sales and blowing a few air miles (sorry Avios) means the cost is about the same as a Club seat. Arrived home on Monday from Singapore in First on a BA a380 and it was brilliant!!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Reply to: Singapore Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted