We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Safari or Night Safari

Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
River Safari or Night Safari

Hi,

We are currently in Singapore and are unsure whether we should do night Safari or river Safari. We had earlier planned for the day till 6 pm at Singapore Zoo and post that to head over to nightsafari as they are next to each other. But have heard that one doesn't get to see many animals at night. Should we give night Safari a skip and go for river Safari instead, also what is covered in river Safari? Thanks for your help in advance people

Regards,

Sanjay Kukreja

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,211 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore Zoo
Singapore Zoo
19,244 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
8 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Safari or Night Safari

<<But have heard that one doesn't get to see many animals at night.>>

You see plenty, if you take the time it needs. I have no doubt that many people will say they didn't see many animals there given how I watch a lot of people dash round.

In all my visits, the most enclosures that I have failed to see the animals in is 2, normally its just 1 - usually the bat eared foxes who seem particularly elusive.

It takes time, concentration and patience as well as not being tired out so your eye's accommodation isn't shot affecting your night vision. Spending a whole day at the zoo, necessary to see that attraction properly, is not conducive to meeting those criteria for the Night Safari so I would never go to the Night Safari after the Zoo, despite it being a must see attraction for me.

All these attractions in common with most in Singapore have extremely good, detailed websites, so to find out what the River Safari has please read the website - it will deliver the information more accurately and more easily than a text list from posters here. The major draws are that it has Giant Pandas and the rest focuses heavily, but not entirely, on aquatic and riverside dwelling animals. Its also easier to visit as casual visit attraction than the Night Safari given its a daytime attraction. I would note that going there at 6pm will not give you time to get round it though - it took me 4hrs on my first trip there, though dropping the reservoir boat ride would save 45mins in waiting and trip time.

Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,211 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Safari or Night Safari

We have been to zoo and have opted for night Safari, firstly let me tell that of all the 4 parks night Safari tickets are expensive and for the price you pay you expect much but to our expectation we are extremely disappointed nothing interesting there we would definately recommend river Safari over night Safari

Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,211 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Safari or Night Safari

Your mileage will vary since we all have our own preferences. Each park has its share of supporters and detractors. Pls go through some reviews and make your own conclusions as to which would suit you.

Night Safari:

https:/…

docdivatraveller.com/2014/07/singapore-night…

River Safari

thydowager.com/2015/10/river-safari-singapor…

passportchop.com/asia/…

Edited: 07 December 2017, 11:15
Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,211 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
84 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Safari or Night Safari

If you do the night safari walkthe trails quietly and you will see the animals, plus there will be less people as they all try to catch the trams.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
350 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Safari or Night Safari

Night Safari is not for taking photos (of the animals) its for those willing to walk slowly from each enclosure to watch the animals (patiently). Special lightings to allow vistors to be view the animals without alarming them. If lights are too bright, the animals will think that its daylight and will hide away to nap as these are night animals. So as advised by Shane B, do the walking instead of the trams

Zoo, River Safari and Night Safari are all part of the Zoological Gardens , in the near future Bird Park will be relocated from Jurong to this area

Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,211 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: River Safari or Night Safari

if you go River Safari, you can go back by 7pm. but if you do Night Safari, your day will only end around 11pm. So it also depends on how long you are willing to stay out.

Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,211 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
588 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: River Safari or Night Safari

Will recommend night safari.

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: River Safari or Night Safari

Doing both the Zoo and Night Safari in one day may be exhausting. Cramming the Zoo and River Safari into one day is equally tiring. So if you have the time, spread out your visit .. and do all three!

If you are visiting with kids, pack swimwear and an extra change of clothes as there is a fun waterpark at the Zoo. If you're up to splurging a little, the Zoo also offers activities such feeding tours and Ranger for a Day. Check the website and book in advance. I've done many of the additional tours at least once with my 10-year-old (for her birthday) and she has enjoyed them all. It does get pricey, so do that only if you feel like splurging or if it's a special occasion.

The highlight of the River Safari are the pandas. There is also a short "boat" ride which is nothing too fantastic, but nice all the same. For me, other than the pandas, there isn't much else that's too exciting about the River Safari.

I'm a fan of the Night Safari :-) The tram ride is terrific and you can hop off and explore on your own on the walking trails. Take it easy and slowly and you'll enjoy the Night Safari more. You do see many animals through the dim lighting. There are shows as well, at the Night Safari.

So my vote would be for Zoo + Night Safari, but take it slow and easy to get the most out of your visit. Bring water, wet wipes, and snacks.

What ever you choose to do, hope you have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,211 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Reply to: River Safari or Night Safari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted