We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage transfer with SA multistop

Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage transfer with SA multistop

I'm really excited to have just found that by using Singapore Airline's multi-stop bookings, I can fly with a single airline between provincial UK and provincial New Zealand (via Amsterdam and Auckland) without having to depart from London. This would save me a massive hassle with hauling baggage via train and tube across London, but it leaves me with a weird amount of time in Singapore - 15 hours between flights. I'm not there long enough for an SA stopover deal, but I'm also not sure if I can spend the time in transit and crash for a few hours in a terminal hotel or if I have to clear customs and then check back in?

Are there nearby (but outside the airport) hotels that can be used for a few hours to sleep in the middle of the day? Also, does anyone know if I need to collect my bags in Singapore or can check them all the way through to Auckland? Suggestions or previous experience welcome!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
6 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage transfer with SA multistop

As a note, SQ is the two letter code for Singapore Airlines, SIA being the three letter code. SA is South African Airways.

Where are you coming from that crossing London is a pain - I raise this as Manchester has direct flights to SIN with SQ as an alternative without having to bounce in Amsterdam.

On a single ticket you can stay airside for the entire time if you wish. If you are a UK passport holder you are visa free to enter Singapore for tourism.On a single ticket your bags are checked all the away through to the final destination and indeed you cannot recover them on such a short stop without really good reasons (going out of the secure area isn't one).

You can use the transit hotels that are airside, though you need to book as thy are popular. There are simple quiet zones and napping areas with semi reclined couches for free.

Few hotels do the sort of short stop stays 'Day rates' you want (and you might not want to use some of those that offer hourly rates). Also sleeping might not be the best option in terms of jetlag - you need to plan that and see if you want to be awake or asleep at that point with reference to the onward journey.

If you want to be awake and have your boarding passes then you can pass immigration, head into the city and do something for a chunk of the time, grab some food, some sunlight etc, before coming back for the onward flight - just do so in good time.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage transfer with SA multistop

Flying with Singapore Airlines your checked baggage will travel all the way to your final destination. You won't have to clear immigration except if you decide to leave the airport and visit the city.

At Changi airport you can book a 6h block at the Transit hotel; booking in advance is advised as the transit hotel can be busy: http://www.harilelahospitality.com/terminal-3

Flying with Singapore Airlines you can collect complimentary vouchers to use at outlets in Airport, I think you can also use them to pay your room (not sure): singaporeair.com/en_UK/…

There are a lot a things to do withing the transit area and you can book a free city tour: changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attr…

Alternatively you can take a taxi and visit the City by your own.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 08:36
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Changi Airport
Changi Airport
Singapore, Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage transfer with SA multistop

Hi Rebecca

With SQ on all legs and single PNR your luggage will be tagged through to the final destination and reloaded into each new flight without your intervention. In Singapore during your 15 hours stopover, you can exit airport, have a decent sleep in a nice hotel and enjoy the city. UK passpors are visa free to singapore. If u need a hotel recommendation please state your budget per room per night in SGD?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage transfer with SA multistop

Thanks all - I'm leaving from Norwich, hence via Amsterdam. The easiest alternative with big bags is a 5 hour bus trip to London which just isn't much fun, and I think a break en route might have me arriving feeling better (especially as I'm rubbish at sleeping on the plane).

Sounds like as long as a "multistop" fare counts as a single ticket I can just treat it as a normal (long) transit, do the freebee tour of the city and sleep in a transit hotel for a few hours. Perfect!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage transfer with SA multistop

<<easiest alternative with big bags is a 5 hour bus trip to London >>

I know the trip - said coach comes through Cambridge and I use it and since I occasionally play a match against Norwich I know the distance extra you have to deal with. As such, Manchester doesn't help at all.

Out of curiosity - which airline partner do SQ use for the Amsterdam to Norwich leg?

Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage transfer with SA multistop

It's KLM - Norwich also has the advantage of being a much more relaxed airport to depart from compared with any of the London options! KLM flights are usually hideously expensive compared with a Stansted Ryanair option but as part of long haul/codeshare it is actually crazy cheap. Adds less than the bus fare to London would, compared with the price of flying from Heathrow...

Reply to: Baggage transfer with SA multistop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted