We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
863 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

This will be our 2nd time to Singapore. First time, my husband and I stayed in CBD for 3 nights. Walked all around the marina waterfront, saw laser show, had a very expensive Singapore sling!, explored Chinatown, Little India and the botanical gardens. Looking to see different areas this time. We only have 2 nights (1 1/2 days). Arrive around 1:30 pm. Staying at Pan Pacific hotel at Marina Square. I'm interested in the Kampong Glam area, Ann Siang Hill and Club Street area, and Tiong Bahru. We like to walk around neighbourhoods and just explore side streets, try great food (not fine dining), take lots or pictures and look in local shops. Would love some recommendations on really good places to eat that won't break the bank. Local food, noodles, soups, seafood, pretty much anything. Also any great places for breakfast in the area of our hotel. Last visit we ate mostly at Hawker Centers and satay at Lau Pa Sat. Would like actual restaurants this time but not crazy expensive. Also, any good local pubs with reasonable prices in these districts would be appreciated. Since I'm going to have to choose where to go with limited time, would you recommend going to Clark or Boat Quay in the evening for dinner/drinks? Is it worth seeing or should I be focusing on the other areas I mentioned. i love photography and read that night shots from Boat Quay are great. I should probably only focus on 2 districts so would appreciate hearing your favourites. Thankyou,

9 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
23,066 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

My favourite areas to wander, take photos and eat local food -

Tiong Bahru

Tanjong Pagar

Joo Chiat Road/Katong/East Coast Road area

Bedok

Clementi

Lavender

Little India

Chinatown

In our forums Top Questions section are several links on these areas and local food favourites. Top Questions can be seen if on the full website, not the limited APP at the top right-hand side of this page.

I also have done some Google Docs with photos of interesting areas to wander around, I’ll post them later.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

My favourites: Tiong Bahru, enjoy a meal in the hawker centre on the upper floor.

Punggol. Lots of places to eat, and the Cube tells you about the new town, then walk along the riverside to see murals about the area history.

Singapore
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

This is near the Ann Siang area:

todayonline.com/lifestyle/food/why-plate-nas…

Really good nasi lemak, although more expensive than hawker centre but it's worth a try. Pop by 'Tong Heng' for really good chinese pastries, they've 1 of the best egg tarts. Just around the corner.

There isn't too much for breakfast around Pan Pacific for local food. Tiong Bahru market or Chinatown complex/food centre is a good shout. Tiong Bahru is a nice neighbourhood and Chinatown you get to see the sights etc.

Edited: 18 December 2017, 07:23
Singapore
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

Or if you're up to explore Geylang (red light district of Singapore, but 100% safe), it's a nice bustling atmosphere. It is not sleazy along the main road/lanes as they need licence to operate and they're all in the houses on the side lanes. Tons of good food.

For good seafood restaurant: No Signboard Seafood, 414 Geylang Road or JB Ah Meng, 534 Geylang Road(believe Anthony Bourdain went there recently hence it's really crowded if you go late). They both take reservations sometimes.

Don't eat till you're stuffed! Take in the sights, walk down the main road to Lorong 9 Geylang. Really good beef hor fun (stir fried rice noodles with beef in black bean sauce) from the coffeshop with a red signboard. Just 5 metres opposite is another coffeshop with one of my favourite fried oyster. There's also a frog leg porridge that is famous in the same coffeshop.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Geylang+Famous+Beef+Kway+Teow/@1.31221,103.8761264,19z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x31da183128c95edb:0x1c664cfd657e30ab!2sLor+9+Geylang,+Singapore!3b1!8m2!3d1.3128376!4d103.8764071!3m4!1s0x31da1836d58481d9:0xe661deca761f4b11!8m2!3d1.312209!4d103.8766752

Edited: 18 December 2017, 07:30
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,066 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

Here’s a recent forum topic on exploring townships - https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,066 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

You may wish to find and photograph the murals in Tiong Bahru -

https:/…

Edited: 18 December 2017, 14:12
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
863 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

So many great suggestions. Thanks everyone

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,886 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

My favorites: ( no surprise) Clark Quay and Robertson Quay.

clarkequay.com.sg/malls/website/index.aspx

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?

if u would like to explore Singapore, check Tiong Bahru, Bugis, Chinatown.

Reply to: Which neighbourhoods to explore this time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted