We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quietest days for day trips following CNY

london
Level Contributor
317 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
quietest days for day trips following CNY

Hi All

We want to go to Sentosa Island for a day trip and a day for Singapore Zoo.

Following CNY, which of the following days will be the quietest for visitors so that we can plan to go and not find massive crowds.

Fri 16 Sat 17 Sun 18 Mon 19

thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
6 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: quietest days for day trips following CNY

Go to the zoo on Feb 16 (CNY Day 1). It's big enough to accommodate large crowds (few long queues needed for anything), & is likely to draw mostly tourists since Chinatown, Bugis & Orchard retailers will be closed for the holidays. Also, we locals don't really go on leisure excursions on this day, which is reserved more for renewing kinship ties (visiting & hosting relatives).

Go to Sentosa on Feb 19, which is a normal work/school day.

Mentioned in this post
Chinatown
Chinatown
11,476 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quietest days for day trips following CNY

I'd agree with Blitzonic. Sentosa will get very busy from Friday to Sunday, as so many do get time off. The zoo can absorb the crowds much more easily.

Do spend some time enjoying the celebrations. Singapore is one of the best places on earth to see the celebrations of Lunar New Year. The lights in Chinatown look great, although most of the shops will close for a day or two. And there's the Hongbao Festival near the Flyer. Don't miss the chance to enjoy these sights.

Have a great trip, it's a lovely time to be in Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
london
Level Contributor
317 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quietest days for day trips following CNY

Thank u thats really helpful. Yes itll be my third time in Singapore and im wishing we had added a few more days.

I'm just putting together our itinerary to ensure we get all activities including cny for our upcoming trip.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quietest days for day trips following CNY

Hi Kaytata, My parents are traveling at the same time too (16th Feb to 20th Feb), while going thru the post I came to know its CNY, its their first trip to Singapore. Do u think CNY will impact their vacation plan

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,507 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quietest days for day trips following CNY

@Aabha there won't be much impact unless their only purpose is to do shopping. All tourist attractions are open albeit more crowded but not claustrophobically so. Shopping can be done on the 3rd day of CNY onwards at malls. Don't always look at the negatives. There are positives like festive decorations and events that can only be seen during this time.

Edited: 13 January 2018, 09:38
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quietest days for day trips following CNY

Thanks @minxbaby! They are more inclined towards sight seeing than shopping. What activity you will recommend for 16th/ 17th Feb execpt Zoo.

Reply to: quietest days for day trips following CNY
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted