We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

Hello, We have just come back from the Maldives, our first visit and first time experiencing such heat. We were wondering how the humidity in the Maldives compares with that of Singapore which we will be visiting next Feb, will it feel even hotter as it is a city? We now realise that we probably don’t possess the right clothing to cope with it and will need to buy some new things over the Summer here in the Uk, any advice please?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore Zoo Admission Ticket
7 Reviews
from US$25.60*
Singapore Night Tour: Gardens by the...
469 Reviews
from US$51.20*
Free Cancellation
Singapore Zoo with Transfer and...
1,790 Reviews
from US$40.60*
Free Cancellation
13 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

Although it is humid and warm, the abundance of greenery and shelters help and there are plenty of airconditioned malls to seek refuge from the heat. Bring clothes that are light, breathable and absorbent. You can probably buy t-shirts over here if you can fit Asian sizing. Cotton t-shirts in colder countries tend to be thicker.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,556 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

Just light casual clothes, longer shorts or three-quarter pants for ladies and cool loose-fitting tops or nice t-shirts. A summer dress or skirt and top and dressy sandals for lunch or dinner out. Casual shorts for a man, polo shirt or casual shirt, or nice t-shirt. Light Fabrics which don’t crush too much. Hats, small fold-up umbrella. Comfortable walking shoes for out sightseeing. H&M, Marks and Spencer, C & A or similar shops in your area will have suitable casual things.

Google image some street scenes of Singapore and look what people are wearing.

Edited: 13 March 2018, 15:39
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

hello Susanne B

Hot, humid with occasional rain, +27+32C is a default weather forecast for Singapore 365 days a year. So yes, humidity here hits like a hummer right after step out from changi airport. Invest in cotton and linen. Natural fibers and zero synthetics. Same about footwear - comfortable and light, kedds and wakai do nicely.

Singapore is a modern and civilized place, so noting too conservative and extra long is required.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

C&A and Primark are good points to start summer shopping if this is your clothes segment, of course.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

Natural cotton/linen is always the best things to wear, buy a size bigger even, so they are loose and comfortable. Singapore is hot and humid, but at least these days there are so many air conditioned spaces to escape the heat. Enjoy. Yes a foldable umbrella is, if not a must, a darn good idea.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

Thank you for the input everyone. You are right minxbaby, our tee shirts feel too thick which is exactly what I was thinking while we were away. It sounds like natural fibres are the way to go with a foldable umbrella. I will have to have a think while it is Summer here so that we can buy the right things.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

I always wear a cotton tee shirt under my shirt, it’s much cooler and the shirt doesn’t stick to the body, which looks really gross, imvho.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
930 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

Clothes made from wicking fabric are good, they also dry quickly when washed.

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

I second Mandy B's reply, I've found sports type material to be the best in hot and humid weather.

I would also advise on bringing a light cardigan/sweater because they crank the air-conditioning most indoor places in Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
796 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.

I also had the wrong clothes on my first trip to Singapore. I thought those nice cotton T's and canvas skirt that I wear in Chicago summers would do fine. Wrong!

Since then, I've been back to Singapore and SE Asia many times and I have special wardrobe. All the hints above are great. I've also had good luck with linen as well as very light weight cottons. I see many visitors in Singapore in capri pants, but my favorite attire is a dress, skirt or skort. Singapore lengths can be above the knee; in some other SE Asian countries where the rules for entering temples are strict (Thailand especially), I wear below the knee lightweight skirts or very lightweight pants. I like the special hiking gear made for the tropics with wicking fabrics by companies like Columbia. I don't know sports stores in the UK, but, in the US, I've found the best places to shop for a range of lightweight, specialty clothing is a place specializing in outdoor sports, not a department store.

I always use a sun umbrella like others have suggested. I swear there is at least a ten degree difference between that little bit of umbrella shade and full sun. I always have a water bottle also.

I loved Singapore on my first visit, but I can't tell you how much more I have loved it with a better wardrobe! I hope you enjoy as well.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Reply to: Humidity, what clothes to buy please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted