We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
Rain!

We are coming soon to Singapore. I am holding off buying our Zoo etc tickets because TA Experts say buy when you know when the rainy days will be.

I really want to buy before we come, because I never turn on a mobile when I am on holiday (it costs £5 a day to use it) nor do I want to faff about with hotel computers. However the forecasts never agree as to when it isn't going to rain. Shall I just give up and buy the tickets? Does it really have a thunderstorm continuously from 11.00 am to 8.00 pm most days as it says on the web forecasts?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
27 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain!

""TA Experts say buy when you know when the rainy days will be.""

Ha-ha. We never say that. What we recommend : never buy in advance. Buy on the day of visit from the booth.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain!

No it doesn't. Rain is usually passing showers, mostly around an hour or less. Sometimes it does rain the entire day but the chance of that happening is the same as cities in UK having 24hrs of snow fall. You can actually get pretty affordable sim cards in Singapore. Tourist sim cards start st SGD15 for 7 days with 100GB of 4G data, 500 mins of local calls, 100 SMS and 30mins of international calls.

https:/…hitouristsimcards

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain!

Thank you both. We want to get the 4 park ticket because it is cheaper than buying on the day for each Park?

And if it only rains a bit, maybe it's just the Night Safari that I need to care about it not raining that evening?

I won't bother with a local SIM, thank you, who would I call?

Mentioned in this post
Night Safari
Night Safari
10,423 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Kent
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain!

A lot of people look at the weather forecast and sees rain then start to panic. Bear in mind the size of the island so it could be raining in some parts and not in others, We got soaked one day we were out and when we returned to our hotel they had not had any rain and another we waited for a thunderstorm to pass then made our way to the Zoo where we enjoyed a lovely sunny day.

The advice many people on here including myself is to buy on the door as this enables you to keep yourself flexible.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,868 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain!

Which hotel are you staying at? Lots of hotels include a ‘Handy’ phone in the room for guests to take out for checking emails, using internet, mapping and directions, free international calls to selected countries and it has a Bookings button on it to book discounted attractions tickets. If your hotel offers that Handy you can just look out your window when you wake up, and if it looks OK book your tickets right then.

I’m currently in Singapore and for the first 4 days of my trip there was a bit of drizzle and rain in some areas. and since then no rain at all. Today is day 15 of my visit so I haven’t been experiencing rain since those first few days, it’s been quite nice, not too hot and a nice breeze.

Don’t focus on those weather forecasts as they say the same thing every day for Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,394 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain!

<<TA Experts say buy when you know when the rainy days >>

Not quite - we say buy on the day, in general, so as to retain flexibility and not be affected badly by amongst other things unhelpful weather - that can be overly hot days as well as rain though. A bit of light rain at the Bird Park is a perfect day for me - less local residents go out, the birds don't hide, the humidity gets cut and all I have to do is take an umbrella.....massive thunderstorms, different matter.

Rain in Singapore is generally boom and bust though - a heavy cloudburst for under an hour and then bright sun. Persistent rain as common in the UK is comparatively rare there and you know if you get a day like that fairly quickly. With the Parkhopper you have 7 days to do the parks and if you haven't locked yourself down with other things, and have a decent length stay then shuffling around should be fairly easy.

<<We want to get the 4 park ticket because it is cheaper than buying on the day for each Park?>>

Hugely - its only a little over the cost of two parks for the four park Parkhopper ticket - so its a high value bundle and tolerant of some loss.

<<I won't bother with a local SIM, thank you, who would I call?>>

Erm, they were pointing out the cheap data options - Singapore isn't typically on the cheap roaming option for UK suppliers since its outside the EU, so local data SIMs are handy for many....it allows you to check weather on a decent, reliable service like the NEA website rather than reliant upon CNN, BBC World Service etc on cable feeds in hotel rooms that use awful summarisation patterns that tell you little. It also allows you to order online if you want, live mapping if you need etc etc. Calls weren't the reason for that recommendation, though you would then be able to make reservations etc yourself.

Edited: 20 March 2018, 17:29
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain!

Thank you all - I hadn't heard of a Handy phone - really free?? We will be staying at the Fairmont.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain!

PS I'm not so sure re the NEA website - it always says "afternoon thundery showers" for every day, whenever I look at it! I like YR, Weather Online and Weather Underground, which seem to split up the day's rain patterns better?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain!

That is because there is always a chance of rain everyday in the tropics esp convectional rain. Rains are unlikely to last the whole day this time of the year.

I don't think Fairmont provides the Handy phone facility.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain!

In any case, the 4-park ticket is valid for 7 days from the chosen date of first visit so you have some leeway to change the date due to weather.

Reply to: Rain!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted