We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos?

Are there many mosquitos in Singapore now? Wondering whether to bring thin long sleeved shirts/ pants or not. It’s very important to know about bugs since I get bites very easily. Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
8 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,904 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos?

Wear insect repellant if you are worried especially when going to places with nature. It is generally not a problem in city areas.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos?

Mosquito repellent is indeed the best protection. Yet from the personal experience I do not remember a single mosquito with singapore passport...from all my travels.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
803 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos?

I’ve never had a mosquito bite and hike the nature reserves and visit the Botanic Gardens, Bird Park, zoo and other outdoor spaces ever trip. (At least 3 visits per year since 2015.) However, I have gotten numerous bites from midges. I’ve taken to using picardin spray that I but at REI or Amazon in 3 ounce bottles and bring from the US. Shopping is easy in Singapore, you can also buy repellent there, I’m sure, I just have found this more specialty type product effective for me and bring it along.

Unlike several other SE Asuan countries I’ve visited where I did wear long pants and sleeves, Singapore does spray. That helps keep the mossies in check. Wear the lightest weight clothes you can. I have found Midwest US summer attire to be too heavy!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore Botanic Gardens
Singapore Botanic Gardens
16,792 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos?

They are only in parks, even shopping outdoors in urban areas dun get you any and definitely not in air-conditioned places. If it is not convenient to bring along a spray in yr luggage, you can get insect repellents at local pharmacies and watson stores which are available at all decent malls. Enjoy yr holiday.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
261 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos?

I did see a mosquito two or three days ago (we are out by a forest area). It got away.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos?

Spent a week in December, even in the parks etc. and never saw one.

Sure they are around but not the problem they used to be when I fist visited.

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos?

We got bitten by Fort Canning a few years ago, will be bringing spray with me when there next week and apply when in parks.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos?

I very rarely get bitten at all - urban areas certainly not and the more managed parks as well as the anti-mosquito measures to protect local residents (including the non-human ones at the zoo!) are pretty strict so keep the numbers down. I cannot remember the last time I picked up a bite at the Zoo or Bird Park.

Its areas with vegetation and particularly some slow running or standing water that cause the problems. Also even in those areas that treat regularly, its never going to be perfect despite my comment above. So a good repellent where you think you might get bitten is well worth it.

However, unlike some places in the world I do not plaster the stuff on all the time - its targeted and based upon where I am going.

Reply to: Mosquitos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted