We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

england
Level Contributor
159 posts
10 reviews
Weather

Hi my husband and I are thinking of going to singnapore for 2 weeks .What month is the best to go .we love the heat so like it nice and warm.thanks

5 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Weather

It really makes little to no difference. Singapore's seasonal variation is extremely limited and something a resident notices but a visitor tends not to.

At one degree north latitude the weather is tropical - hot and humid. Meteorological temperatures don't seem high if you look but that is in a Stevenson screen so doesn't take into account the effects of the 90% humidity and the directly overhead sun heating (that 'feels like' figure) which bumps up the feel a lot.

Tropical means wet. It rains, on average, somewhere in Singapore one day in three in the dry months and every other day in the 'wet season' from Nov-Jan. Rain however isn't like the UK at all - it is typically a massive cloudburst that hits somewhere on the island lasts about 30-60mins and then goes away. Repeated rain storms can occur but are rarer, as are persistent days full of rain (and that tends to be lighter). Very very rarely you get persistent very heavy rain. Temperatures during rain are still in the high 20s at least but the humidity plummets so it can be very pleasant for walking round for anyone from the UK.

The wet season that I mentioned will tend to have more of the rarer events and more of the country is affected more often, but equally a few years ago Orchard Road flooded because they had persistent heavy rains that overwhelmed the drainage systems in one of the drier months and this is because although there are averages you can define a climate by the variances around that average are wide.

So for a visitor, you need to prepare for any weather pattern Singapore may have at any time of year and while the averages make the different times of the year appear clearly different the variability means that for your snapshot of time its impossible to predict where in the spectrum of Singapore's weather you will be beyond 72hrs or so.

In practise, for me, that can be boiled down to always carry both sunscreen and a foldable umbrella whatever the time of year. Don't use foreign summaries to plan the day ahead, use a much more detailed forecast as you will find on Singapore's NEAA website.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12,941 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Weather

February

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12,941 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Weather

You can plan it to coincide with the Chinese New Year festivities.

england
Level Contributor
159 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Weather

Yea somebody else said that but I'm not really bothered about it.just want weather to be nice and hot.we usually go to Thailand in January so want a change

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,881 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: Weather

Just go when the airfares are the best. It’s always hot and humid. I tend to go February/March/early April and November/December as I’ve found airfare sales and those coincide with my Annual Leave from work.

There is always something interesting happening at various times of year so maybe research what’s on and factor those events in too.

Edited: 19 September 2018, 05:07
Reply to: Weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted