We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

I'm going to be travelling by train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur in a couple of weeks. I've looked at the different options and seem to prefer this one given the nature of the journey.

Just wondering if anyone has made the same trip recently and has any particular comments? Also, from what I read on the KTMB site, or seat61, train fares are more expensive if bought in Singapore, ie, a MYR 50 fare is charged at SIN $50, the exchange rate being noticeably different on the 2 currencies. Did anyone have a problem booking a return ticket from KL to Singapore, but only using the Singapore to KL leg? I've heard doing it this way is a lot cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

singapore
Level Contributor
270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

i have travelled by rail from singapore to kl once. yes , you can book one-way then booked the return when you are in KL. i travelled at night but i was not able to sleep well. i prefer to travel by bus a lot more comfortable. believe me!

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,983 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

Yes it will cheaper to buy you return ticken in Malaysia if there is no discount for a return trip and they are treated as 2 singles, same with airfare, bus journey, taxi etc. The only train journey worth taking is the overnight service (to save you a nights hotel acoomadation and to get you into KL first thing in the morning foa full days sight seeinng), otherwise take the coach which is a lot faster.

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

Thanks for your comments!!

I'll only be making the journey one way, from Singapore to KL. But probably going to book via the web a return from KL to Singapore, to get it cheaper. Is this the right (cheaper) thing to do?

What are the buses actually like? I'm pretty tall, 6'5" so not too keen on being squeezed onto a bus, whereas the train with First Class might have more space?

Cheers

Singapore
Level Contributor
640 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

The buses have seats equivalent to first class seat of Air service, very comfortable.

I used to take the train during my younger years. After they improved on the bus standard. Below is a web-site on the express buses.

travelmalaysiaguide.com/bus-travel-in-malays…

One big problem with the train other than the lack of comfort is its reliability. If the schedule have not changed since my last ride ( more than 10 years ago ). They only have a morning (7:30-8:00AM), afternoon (2:30-3:00PM), and night (9:00-10:00PM) schedule. Sometimes the arrival delay can be up to 2 hours.

You can also take a night coach to KL. But unlike the train which normally arrives at 7:00AM, the coaches arrive at 3:00AM. If you take a coach on Friday, there is one that depart at 6:30PM. You will reach KL at 12:00PM.

Same with train, if you buy a ticket in Singapore, the value is the same but in SGD, ie. if coach ticket in M'sia is MYR23, coach ticket in Sgp is SGD23.

singapore
Level Contributor
270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

aeroline and odyssey both have good service. with meal on board.

https://www.aeroline.com.my/

http://www.odysseynow.com.my/

i feel odyssey is better in service and there is individial screen for your entertainment. it is even equip with wifi.

USJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

Hi Chapperss,

why not fly? air ticket price is as aeroline bus ticket price. get the best deal by checking all the budget airline website, airasia, jetstar, tiger airway. Price is about RM130 - RM150 return all inclusive. flight time is less than one hour.

singapore
Level Contributor
270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

checking in to the airport and cab to airport. airasia uses LCCT. then your less than an hour flight will stretch to 4 hours too.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,983 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

45min sitting in a plane seat or 4.5hr (more if your stuck in traffic)sat in a bus. I know which I one I would I'd choose :)

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

you might be sure but I'm not so sure.

mmm...

1. from hotel to changi airport - ? mins and $?

2. from LCCT to KL center - ?mins and $?

erh...wait a minute,

there is still a need to reach airport at least ? hours before the flight.

45mins of flight becomes 3-4 hours thingy.

Besides, the coach/bus runs on expressway and it is very fast! (the coach drivers are on steroids :-)

If you're going to area around Berjaya time square, then there is one coach goes direct.

Enjoy.

Just a gentle reminder that if you take train from Singapore to Malaysia, you must keep your train ticket. This is the proof of your legel entry into Malaysia. Trust me!

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

Now long since back from the trip to Singapore / Malaysia and thought I'd post my experience of the train.

We opted for it as it was something different. Being regular fliers, and having flown over from Europe, we wanted to avoid another flight. As for the coach, we weren't that taken by the option. The train seemed a different opportunity, something of an experience, and that it was.

For starters, we bought our ticket using a dummy leg from KL to Singapore. We never used this but it was to keep the price down. Buying a return from KL to Singapore is cheaper than a one way from Singapore to KL given the pricing structure and the exchange rates. This was booked in standard class, but the leg we were actually going to use from Singapore to KL was in First. So, if anyone's looking at the train heading north, I'd definitely recommend doing the same.

We got the morning train. Leaving Singapore about 07:40 if I'm correct. The station in Singapore is rather basic. The First Class lounge is just a quiet lounge with comfy leather seats. It's quite Colonial with a strong hint of by gone times. All in all, the station experience is quite manic. No one really knows what's going on until the last mad rush when customs and health declaration forms have to be filled out - I'd recommend getting hold of these before you reach the front of the queue.

The train itself was meant to be about 6 or 7 hours. It ended up being close to 8. There was no on board service worth talking about, but we were expecting that so had stocked up on snacks. The seats were comfortable albeit dated, and there was plenty of space in First. The scenery along the way was fantastic, and we had chance to take it in at a leisurely pace.

Having got to KL Sentral, onwards transportation from there to where we were staying in Chinatown was easy. We used one of the prepaid taxis.

After KL, we went on to Langkawi, where we needed our train ticket to prove how we'd got into Malaysia as no one had stamped our passport at the border on the way in.

So, in a nutshell, we took a chance with the train and it worked out great for us. If you want something clean and modern, perhaps the coach would be better. If you want something that's more leisurely and a bit of an experience, I'd definitely plump for the train, I'm definitely glad we did. If you do, book your ticket originating in Malaysia to get it cheaper, even if you do only want to use one leg, and keep hold of your ticket receipt as you may well need it when leaving Malaysia.

Good Luck.