We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

I recently travelled through Singapore airport. This was not a pleasant experience and I would like to warn other travellers.

I travel extensively and this year have been through airports in Europe, USA and Middle East. As every passenger knows you cannot take liquids into the departure lounge, however once in the lounge you are free to buy liquids and take them on the plane.

We were flying from Singapore to Riyadh which is a 10hour flight. On our outbound flight the drinks service onboard was non existant. So that we didn't get caught out again we puchased 4 bottles of water from Starbucks in the departure lounge.

At the gate we were rudely told that we could not take liquids on the plane and that we had to dispose of it. The airport staff would not reason and were extremely abrupt.

When questioning with the reasoning we were just informed it was the rules, however they would let us take through the empty bottles and fill them from the water fountain in the gate. This is illogical and makes absolutely no sense.

I was so disgusted that I wrote to Singapore airport. When they did finally answer their reasoning was that they were following the ICAO rules imposed on all airports post 9/11. It seems to me that the airprot has completly misinterpretted the rules and taken them to the extreme. Not even the USA stops you carrying liquids onto a plane. Whatsmore Singapore airport terminal 1 didn't stop us taking water.

Firstly if you can avoid Singapore airport, and secondly do not buy anything in duty free.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

That's Odd. I purchased Milk Tea and other soft drinks at at Convenience Store in T3 next to BK an had no problems getting them onto my flight.

Even if it is the case with Changi Airport I wouldn't get so upset about it and advise others not to use Singapore Airport, a I think along with many others that it's a world class airport and IMO the best in the world

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

It is more the attitude of the staff than the water. Your tea would be less than 100mls.

Singapore airport is not the world class airport it used to be.

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

It is more the attitude of the staff than the water. Your tea would be less than 100mls.

Singapore airport is not the world class airport it used to be.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,165 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

I personally do not see that Changi staff misinterpret the rules whatsoever, the regulation of non-allowing any liquid onboard ( if not in less than 100ml pack) is strict despite the place where you purchased your drink - before immigration or after.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

Changi is an open plan airport with free mixing of departing and arriving passengers. Changi cannot be certain of how good the security screening is at other airports so it is possible for an arriving passenger to hand something to a leaving passenger in the transit area.

Because of this security check is at the gate for each individual flight, not just before emigration like some other airports that segregate passengers. Therefore if your traveling to a region that enforces the 100ml rule (North America, Europe, Australia etc) you will not be able to take more than 100ml inside the departure gate.

If your buying liquids and duty free more than 100ml at the Changi shops that you want to take onboard the plane, they will delivery it to your departure gate for free for you to collect after security, so you can take it onboard the aircraft.

Edited: 19 December 2010, 21:20
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

Similarly you are free to take as much liquids that you buy in the City into Changi, go through passport control/emigration and into the Transit Area. But you can only take 100ml in clear bottles when you enter the departure holding gate where the scurity check is. If you want to buy bottle water/ duty free to drink on the flight from the shops in Changi, just show your boarding pass and they will deliver it to your depature gate.

These are rules stimpulated buy the Flight authrities in various countries, no changi- only allowed 100ml through security.

Edited: 19 December 2010, 21:30
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

If what you say is true ... that you've travelled extensively throughout Europe, the US, then you'd definitely know that the 100ml liquids rule applies right through to the boarding gate in major airports around the world. So how would it have been remotely possible to carry "4 bottles of water from Starbucks" through security to the boarding gate?

Also not sure which airline you flew but if it was full service, you should have walked to the galley and asked for drinks/water because "On our outbound flight the drinks service onboard was non existant" is totally appalling! You could have died from dehydration!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

Mmm..i've been travel to many airport across Europe and Asia-Pacific. And most of the important transit hub airport applying the same safety regulation as Singapore, especially Changi Airport is a major hub in Asia to Pacific and world class airport. I saw the same regulation at Sydney Airport, Melbourne Airport, Narita Tokyo, Hong Kong, Dubai, Heathrow, Schippol, and KLIA. In some other even worst and more tight in screening. I don't see what happen to you is a hassle, it just a matter of safety for all. And I don't see there is a reason why can't one buy or shop at Singapore Duty Free, they have some special look through plastic bag/container and the receipt will be attached which shown you get it from the inside departure lounge not from outside. Other thing is why would there is no water served on your flight? Especially to Riyadh, is there any budget airlines from Singapore to Riyadh? NO that I know. Even a budget airline, for a simple water you will be able to purchase in relatively inexpensive price.

If you look through your ticket there will be clearly stated what kind of regulation that every passenger must follow to get on board.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

Changi seems to be different to other airports I have been to in that you only go through security once at the gate (as opposed to somewhere like Manchester where you go through security when going airside - so you can then buy bottles of water in the shops airside and take them on board).

Whenever I have bought bottles of water in the shops at Changi, I have often been told that I cannot take them on board with me (and if they don't say I do ask). There are some gates at the airport (where there are 5 or so gates grouped together) which have a kiosk after security so you can buy water.

I get round the problem by taking an empty water bottle though security and either fill it up from the fountain or asking the staff on board to fill it up for me. I have never had a problem getting water on a full service airline - and if the service seems non existant I just get up and walk to the galley to ask.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Airport Idiotic Rule for carrying water on a plane

You obviously haven't seen some of the airport in South America then...

If you are telling others to steer clear of SIN then I suggest you don't think about South America then as I had to leave even the empty bottle behind.

IMO you learn and next time you know not to bring these on board.

To suggest others avoid SIN is silly. I would say that you are giving others a heads up.