We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

I have a question about the McDonalds free WiFi in SG.

Where I live in Australia the McDonalds free WiFi is an OPEN system, anyone can sit down outside a McDonalds and connect without any need for prior registration or food purchase or fee...

Is it the same in Singapore, or do I need to register a wireless@sg account to use it?

Do I need to pay at the cash register or is it free (or do I just buy a coffee)?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

Yes, you do need a free wireless@sg account to access the wifi. Registration is required due to terrorism fears. If anything happens, it can be traced to the individual. You will need a Singapore mobile number to register. Wifi hotspots are also available at many other places like Starbucks, Burger King (Hungry Jacks), etc. However, the speed is kind of slow. The wifi access is not by McDonald's or Starbucks, but the programme is implemented by the govt dept (Infocomm Dev Authority).

Do read pass discussion threads:

1) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k331…

2) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294262-i1747-k348…

Edited: 05 January 2011, 13:41
Brisbane
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

Thank you Kevin-sg for the links, yes I had searched tripadvisor but was not sure what the current situation was...

If it is still slow and patchy then I think I will just get a 3G data pass like I did last time, pity because Australia has excellent hassle free McDonalds wifi, I was kinda hoping SG would be the same, but apparently not :(

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

Yes, still slow and patchy to the best of my knowledge. Doubt anything has changed. Hopefully someone can confirm this?

Otherwise, you can try on the first day when you are here. If the speed does not suit you, then get the pass.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

If you have a mobile phone set to roaming, you get a automatic text message with a free wireless@sg account when you switch on your phone in Singapore (if you choose Singtel as the roaming partner, but probably with others as well), so no need for a Singapore SIM.

Edited: 05 January 2011, 16:56
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

Hi, dont bother with wireless@sg because its very very very very lag...worse is you will keep getting disconnect which really make me go around pulling my hair off sometime as im replying to email-.-

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

If you have an USB broadband dongle or MiFi unit, you can buy a data local prepaid data SIM. Its what use for internet when in Singapore.

Lahore, Pakistan
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

Can I buy a Singapore mobile number on temporary basis.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

Yes you need Wireless@SG account for Macdonalds. And you need a local mobile number to register for this account (except at the airport where they give you a login password that lasts for 6 hours). Wireless@SG also runs at most of the shopping malls in Singapore, a few tourist attractions and random hotspots. Check out the hotspots on the IDA website.

BUT Burger King has its own network, that doesn't require a password to log in.

@Owaisqad, yes you can buy a prepaid SIM card from either SingTel, M1 or Starhub. They have voice-only, data-and voice and data-only packages. You can check out the providers' websites for the different types of SIMs.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

hi guys,

Just a slightly different question. I have an ipod Touch and was going to use that when in Singapore to send emails etc. But as it's not an iPhone I won't have a mobile number, or the ability to get a SIM card.

Will wi-fi services in public places be accessible to me?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: McDonalds Wifi - need wireless@sg account?

Do you have a mobile phone? Set it to roam and you will get a text on how to get a free wirless@sg account when you arrive. You dont need to have Singapore SIM or actually use your phone in Singapore to get a free account.