We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
300 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

I see lots of good deals for one or two night short trips to both locations. Any recommendations on better location for relaxation, swimming and good seafood?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

Bintan is much better.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

yes Bintan. Stayed at Nirwana Resort at Bintan, it has nice pool n a mini zoo next to it along the beach...heard Banyan Tree resort is nice too...

Edited: 28 January 2012, 20:33
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

Batam to rough it out (quality and lifestyle wise) while Bintan is a little higher end. If u want to experience a bit of local lifestyle Batam is it, Bintan is more of a beach resort destination.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

Be careful of some hidden term and condition behind these deal. Reported on the newspaper recently including big player such as groupon.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

Apart from nice hotels Bintan also houses a large no. of detention centres paid for by Australia. This would be reason enough for me not to go there.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

bintan is not alcatraz. Theres club med on the island.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

For some people on this island it indeed is more like Alcatraz and not Club Med.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

Wow i wasn't aware of the detention centres! Thanks for pointing it out. I just went to Bintan for 4 days over CNY and stayed outside the "Bintan resorts" district and clearly it's a whole different world once you pass across the checkpoint, the quality of the roads, greenery, cleanliness, infrastructure etc.

Anyway this is perhaps offtopic, back to your question I'd also favour bintan for your objectives.

Batam, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

This comes a bit late... but better than never :)

BINTAN

Bintan is basically a resort area for tourists. It has much better/clearer water and facilities at the resorts. A good place for for relaxation and just wind down. But everything in the resort is basically expensive. If you want to try local lifestyle and food (much cheaper), then you have to travel out to the town of 'Tanjung Pinang'. They have some great food there.

For OP purpose, Bintan would be the better choice.

BATAM

Batam has a couple decent resorts like Turi Beach and Nongsa Point Marina but I would say yes, comparing resort to resort, Bintan is definitely better. If you are talking about seafood, Batam has a lot more choices. In fact, if you are talking about food in general, Batam has a lot more options.

Batam is livelier in general and has a lot more things to do. And yes, it is definitely much cheaper compared to Bintan. Tourists come here to relax and wind down as well but in the form of spas, massages, light shopping, groceries (esp. those baby products and daily needs), sightseeing (though not much to see really), and food.

PACKAGED DEALS

Those groupons and deals.com Batam/Bintan deals have pretty good values. I can't say much for Bintan but for Batam short-trip deal, you can't get it any cheaper even if you were to do it free and easy. BUT one big disadvantage would be, the places they bring you are a total rip-off (except those sightseeing temples).

Okay I better not go into details. Don't wanna hi jack the thread or maybe I have already done it? hahaha....

Cheersss!

10. Re: Bintan or Batam for a weekend get away?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 17:27