We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore to tioman island

Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Singapore to tioman island

Whats the best way to make this jorney? And is it worth seeing...i've 6 days to spend in singapore and surronding areas...all ideas welcome....island/trips prefferably

Thanks

Singapore Zoo Admission Ticket
7 Reviews
from US$25.60*
Singapore Night Tour: Gardens by the...
469 Reviews
from US$51.20*
Free Cancellation
Singapore Zoo with Transfer and...
1,790 Reviews
from US$40.60*
Free Cancellation
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore to tioman island

Hi there,

I urge you to consider Bintan, it's much nearer to Singapore and easier to get to. I personally like Bintan. Nicer waters, plus if you play golf (I do), the courses by Bintan Lagoon's really nice.

The journey's about 45 mins and it will cost approx 40SIN for 2 way per pax from Mon-Thus and approx 50SIN for 2 way per pax from Fri-Sun. For schedules and more details, you can go on to this site:

http://www.brf.com.sg

The ferry terminal's at Tanah Merah so it'll be advisable to get there via taxi. It's a little out of the way but then taxis aren't too expensive in Singapore, just don't take the cab at peak hours.

But if you really want to go to Tioman, check out this site: www.malaysiasite.nl/transporttiomaneng.htm

The island's fine but it's just a headache trying to get there. Most people I know would take a bus up to Mersing (small Malaysia town, closest to Tioman) then take a ferry. The journey can take you some 5 hours. Or take the ferry direct from Singapore, which will take you 4 hours plus and set you back by 150SIN thereabouts.

Have a look at the website.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Cheers, Joanne

Mentioned in this post
Bintan Island
Bintan Island
Bintan Regency, Indonesia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Mersing
Mersing
Mersing District, Malaysia
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore to tioman island

tioman is a good place but there are quite a few options other than Bintan and Batam (both 45 mins ferry ride from SIN) :

…thinkquest.org/04apr/…ubin.htm

I highly recommend Malacca for a cultural overnight trip (great food and a glimpse into a unique culture of the Peranakan)

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Bintan Island
Bintan Island
Batam
Batam
Riau Archipelago, Indonesia
Le Peranakan Hotel
Le Peranakan Hotel
208 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Asia
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore to tioman island

Hi,

You can fly to Tioman. Here's the link:

http://www.berjaya-air.com/flightschedule.htm

Batam and Binin are only 45 min from Singapore, but make sure that, for Bintan, don't take the ferry to Tanjung Pinang. That's 2h 15 minutes from Singapore, on the other side of Bintan.

And if you're Irish, you most probably have to get a visa-on-arrival for Indonesia, which is USD10 for 7 days.

Depends on what you want to see and do, I guess.

If you like culture, then I'd also vote for Malacca, plus what with 6 days, you don't have that much time.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Batam
Batam
Riau Archipelago, Indonesia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Bintan Island
Bintan Island
Tanjung Pinang
Tanjung Pinang
Bintan Island, Indonesia
Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore to tioman island

I had an alternative route.

First, take the transsnational bus from larvander street to mersing at $26.50.

Secondly, you could book a fast boat at Island Connections Travel. (it is near the alighting bustop of the transsnational bus)

If you need more information, please visit

www.nadi.com.my.

Perth
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore to tioman island

Hi,

I would have to recommend Tioman Island as my all time favourite place! Bliss! Absolutely worth it. I spent 6 months working on a cruise ship that stopped there once a week, and it was the highlight. I would have only 5-7 hours shore leave, and it felt like an eternity as time does not exist there. Crystal clear, calm water with the largest tropical fish, amazing. Very peaceful with great restaurants. Never crowded as there are only a handful of hotels on the Island. Golfing and bikeriding are available, there are no cars.

It's the perfect daytrip/overnighter. The definition of "deserted tropical island" with the luxuries to top it off.

Magical and worth every effort... for a day or a week. Whether you fly or ferry, the view is spectacular as Tioman Island is virtually a lush green mountain in a sea of blue.

If you have the opportunity, you won't regret it.

Malacca, on the other hand, is very different. Culturally amazing, yes!! Not an island paradise, and certainly not for swimming! It really depends what you are looking for...

Sentosa Island can be a fun day too. Short cable ride across from Singapore to essentially a fun park, but always very busy. Musical water fountains are memorable, held nightly.

Enjoy you're trip!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Andover, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore to tioman island

Hello!

I am stopping off at Singapore, on my way to NZ......29th. Nov.... for 6 days and wanted to stay on Tioman Island also.

....BUT, it is the monsoon season and I was advised against going at this time.What is anyone else's opinion please?!

David.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Asia
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore to tioman island

Yeah, Nov - Jan is the (NorthEast) monsoon season for Tioman, which means rain and choppy waters.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,250 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore to tioman island

Are tioman Island and Palau Tioman the same place

Mike from Wellington

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore to tioman island

pulau is the bahasa (malay) word for island so yes, it is the same island

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,250 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore to tioman island

Isnt it amazing how the passage of time changes things. I understand Tioman Island is one of Singapores more popular holiday resorts. In the late 60's and early 70's when I was in the RNZ Navy we used to go to the island for a banyan or barbeque because it was so isolated and pristeen and we had the place to ourselves. Life aint like it used to be much is the pity.

Mike from Wellington