We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning ahead

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Planning ahead

We are planning a visit to FI in late 2020. We love wildlife, photography, history, scenery and isolation.

1) There are two travel agents on the FI tourism website. I find the Falkland Island Holidays website more appealing but note that a previous poster recommended ITT - has anyone used FIH or have any views between the two ?

2) how far ahead should we book ? I am hoping we are not too late for Nov or Dec 2020 ?

3) some accommodation seems to be self catering - is it easy to buy groceries and transport them on the FIGAS flights ?

4) would a travel agent know when the cruise ships are coming in and schedule our itinerary to avoid being in the same place as cruise ship passengers ?

5) I am assuming three weeks would be better than two ?

Many thanks !

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,360 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning ahead

Hi,

You may be too early to book some places but it would be worth contacting the places you want to stay and ask them. Both agents are competent and will give sound advice.

Selfcatering -check with the owners of the property what is available locally. Some islands have basic stores, EG Bleaker has good meat ( their own) and wine supplies. But generally, you get 20kg on the flights and pay extra if you go over.

4 - they should do, yes, but only at the start of the season. And schedules can change with the weather. I doubt it will be an issue.

The longer the better, imo.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning ahead

Thank you very much Peterscot

Level Contributor
36 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning ahead

"2) how far ahead should we book ? I am hoping we are not too late for Nov or Dec 2020 ?"

I would not say it is too early. Some places may be fully booked two years in advance!

"4) would a travel agent know when the cruise ships are coming in and schedule our itinerary to avoid being in the same place as cruise ship passengers ?"

Most cruise ships do not go to the outer islands, and when they go, it is usually for brief visit. Volunteer Point will probably be busy in a cruise ship day, but other than that you are mostly safe. I would say it is a good idea to book at least 2 nights (3 would be ideal) if you really want to know some specific place outside Stanley. That way you maximizes your chances of having at least one tranquil day in a given place. As a matter of fact, I did not come across any cruise ships passengers during my holiday in the islands, not even in VP.

"5) I am assuming three weeks would be better than two ?"

I spent two weeks some time ago, and I am soon returning for three weeks more. Two weeks is the minimum. Met too many people who booked one week thinking it would be enough and then regretted when they actually got to the islands.

I see that you are from Australia. It is a long way to get to the islands, I would recommend three weeks BUT that is something only you can tell.

The weather changes very quickly. So, if you do have bad weather one day, you have a good chance of having a bright day in the other. Spending more time in the islands maximizes you chance of have at least one bright day in a given location.

I should say that weather was better than what I expected. I had many clear, beautiful days, which made for good photography. :)

Edited: 11 June 2018, 20:00
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning ahead

Thank you for your feedback Philipe !

Reply to: Planning ahead
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Falkland Islands
More Falkland Islands Topics