We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu

So, I am a hiker and my wife is not. I will want to take the inca Trail trek, but she will want to ride to the site, tour, then ride back to the hotel.

How can we reconcile these two approaches and spend time together on vacation? Are there things for her to do while I am on the hike? Can she catch up with me at points during the hike and visit or join the trail for a little while? I am certain she can meet me at the site by rail/bus and we can tour it together.

I am just looking for more information or ideas. I don't want to spend all the money and for her to be bored and sitting around all week. But, I want us both to go.

We are willing to engage a luxury/more expensive tour if they can cater to this kind of situation.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

Kurt

2 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,093 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu

You certainly could do this if your wife doesn't mind spending several days on her own in Peru. The classic Inca Trail is 4 days. It's three full days during which there's no point where your wife can meet you. On the fourth day you enter MP through the sun gate early so you can see the sunrise from the sun gate. Your wife could buy her own train ticket to Agua Calientes on your hike day 3, stay that night in Agua Calientes, then take the shuttle bus to the site, and meet you in the site when you hike down from the Inca Trail. Your trail company can probalby help you arrange this and get her a ticket on the same return train as you.

There is definitely a LOT besides MP to see in Peru. She will absolutely have a lot to do. Ruins like Ollantaytambo, Pisac, and Sacsayhuaman are outstanding and would be worth the trip to Peru even if MP did not exist. Cusco is worth spending a few days in the city. The real question is what's the rest of your itinerary besides the trail hike. Most of these are places you'd also want to visit so the real question is whether you can find three days of stuff for her to do that you don't mind missing. And that really depends on what you and she are interested in.

Your other option is to skip the Inca Trail and not leave your wife on her own in Peru. There are plenty of short half day or less hikes, including a couple inside MP, that you could do with your wife. Or if she doesn't want to, then at least you're not leaving her on her own for so long.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
1,987 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Sacsayhuaman
Sacsayhuaman
11,886 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu

welcome,

when momma isnt happy - no one is happy. I hope you figured that out?

why not just do what she wants? Is it so bad to have some alone time? That way you will have something to talk about when you meet up again.

i think there is a really nice hotel/lodge at the gate to MP. they may have a spa and let her have some feminine time to chill and relax.

good luck.

Reply to: Machu Picchu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted