We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??

Hello,

So we had booked Choquequirao well before this happened and now I'm unsure whether I should do it. I plan on getting advice from my doctor but wanted to see if it's been done before. Also booked is Rainbow Mountain which is even higher altitude. Has it been done by anyone before? I am able to get a refund at this stage if I cancel now.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Choquequirao
Choquequirao
244 Reviews
Sacred Valley, Peru
Rainbow Mountain Cusco
Rainbow Mountain Cusco
345 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
6 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,610 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??

If you go to the Cusco area anyway, Chiquequirao is not at a higher altitude.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??

Even tough choquequirao is not at higher altitude, it is a very very hard trek. Maybe the hardest one in peru. Take that into account. When i did it i ended up every day a bit cramped.

The rainbow mountain is at 5200 masl in is so hard too. Most of the people that get there get feel bad to a greater or lesser extent due to the altitude.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 02:47
London
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??

Even if it has been done before, what would that prove? Everyone’s physiology is different and will be affected by altitude in different ways. That likely be compounded by a pregnancy. It may be ok it may not, but would you seriously risk the health of your unborn child on the basis of complete strangers on a travel forum? There are no medical professionals Here who could possibly advise you. Please, go speak to an obstetrician who is also conversant in altitude issues or, at least can consult with a physician who is.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??

Like I said, I was always planning on getting medical advice and the reason I asked was because I was curious to know if anyone had done it before! As if I am stupid enough to base it on strangers advice online but thanks for stating the obvious!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??

@camiloomedi Thank you for the reply, Doctors advice was strongly against me doing it anyway. I am still curious as to whether it has been done in the past..

Edited: 13 June 2018, 16:41
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??

@pierre w, this is true, but there will not be any strenuous exercise so it is safer :)

Reply to: Choquequirao trek at 16 weeks pregnant??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted