We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Month in South America - Brazil, Chile, Peru, Galapagos

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
1 Month in South America - Brazil, Chile, Peru, Galapagos

(Not a Peru-specific post but could not find anywhere else to post!)

After a spectacular easter break in South America covering Chile and Argentina, I'm raving for more and have decided to spend a month in SA. One of my gripes with y previous travel is that I only did two day trips to Torres Del Paine in Chilean Patagonia, and want to go back to do the whole 'W' trek with my friend, who is there between 25 December and 31 December.

For the above, my plan is as follows:

1. Land in Brazil (Rio, move to Sao Paolo, spend a total of 9 days in Brazil)

2. Fly to Punta Arenas on 23rd/24th for Patagonia

3. Fly from Punta Arenas to Cuzco, maybe breaking for a day in Santiago to meet some friends, time provided

4. Machu Pichu and Cuzco for 5 days - is this enough?

6. Fly to Quito, Galapagos land tour for 5-6 days

7. Fly back from Quito or Guayaquil

Not sure how the above plan is going to work time wise or logistics wise, or if there are any alternatives I can consider. My must-dos if I do this trip will be Patagonia and Galapagos.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador
1 reply
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Month in South America - Brazil, Chile, Peru, Galapagos

So I can't really say much for anything but Peru, since I haven't traveled to any of those places. Though super jealous! However, 5 days for Cusco and MP are definitely enough. Since you have obviously dealt with high altitude before, you are aware of what you're going to encounter and hopefully, have a process for yourself!

For the 5 days, I highly recommend doing tours of the sacred valley and the city tour of Cusco. MP is truly amazing, but it's crazy to realize how many amazing places there are in the Inca empire! Pisac, Moray, and Maras are definitely a must do. Pisac and Moray are ancient Inca sites as well, and I would suggest them before MP. Maras is amazing for the salt mines and pretty unique to see. We used Mountain Cusco Tours and they were very reasonably priced and great customer service. The only thing about a paid tour is that you're on their time and you can't wander around. Since you have a few days you can also hire a personal taxi, which is really easy as well! I would go with personal taxi so you can hike around on the ancient sites and take your time to enjoy that.

Good luck on the rest of your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Maras Restaurante
Maras Restaurante
535 Reviews
Lima, Peru