We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huacachina with kids?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Huacachina with kids?

I am trying to finalize the last leg of our family trip this summer. (16 days in Peru, kids are 5,13,15).

My plan is to take PeruHop’s 3 day trip to Paracas and Huacachina. In Paracas they said the hotel that is part of the package is OK for a family (Frayles Hotel) but they recommend we book our own hotel in Huacachina. There aren’t many great options there as most of them are party places. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Or should I reconsider, forget Peru Hop and just go to Paracas, stay there for 2 days and do a day trip to Huacachina? In that case, how could we get to Paracas from Lima?

Other question: how safe are the dune buggy rides? Are they OK for little ones? Has anybody done it with young kids? I know my teenagers would love it but not sure about the 5 yr old...

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Paracas
Paracas
Ica Region, Peru
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Peru Hop
Peru Hop
1,742 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Huacachina with kids?

We're doing the same with kids 7 and 10. It's the second (and last leg) of our 12 day trip after SV/MP/Cusco and a bit of Lima.in lieu of a rushed 3 days of travel to jungle or Titicaca or Arequipa.

My plan is to forgo the tour and go independently which seems very doable. Cruz Del Sur bus from Lima to Paracas (booked Doubletree Hilton) for relaxing by the sea. Get tickets that evening for the next day tours of Isla Ballesteros and possibly the Paracas reserve. Then taxi (or bus) to Huacachina in time to wander town and get a tour for sand dunes activities. Lodging for that night is either the doubletree at Paracas (take a taxi back) or i've got a B&B booked in Ica, only 15 minutes away. Third day would take a not too rushed Cruz Del Sur bus from Ica back to Lima.

I cannot speak to safety as I haven't done it yet, just read about it. Sounds fun, adventurous and a good way to balance out the rest of the more mystical, primary portion of the vacation.

I'll wait to hear from others on their thoughts as well.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Paracas
Paracas
Ica Region, Peru
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Huacachina with kids?

Thanks for your input fabfournyc.

I ended up booking the trip with Peru Hop but picked a better hotel in Huancachina. I think it will be fine for one night, even if it’s party central around us :)

I asked the tour company about the buggy rides and they said that they usually don’t recommend it for younger kids (0-7) but it’s up to the parents. After watching a few youtube videos, we may keep the little one off those buggies, but we will see. My teens are superexcited, and I also thought it would be a nice ending to a more educational vacation :)

Mentioned in this post
Peru Hop
Peru Hop
1,742 Reviews
Lima, Peru
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Huacachina with kids?

We'll play it by ear with the 7 year old but i'm sure as soon as he sees his sister on it he'll want to give it whirl.

Is your pick up in Lima in middle of night to get to tour in the morning?

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Huacachina with kids?

I have a feeling the same thing will happen to us :) I may not be able to keep the little one off the buggy once he sees big sis and brother going...will see I guess.

We are doing the 3 day trip, so we are leaving early morning from Lima and getting back late night on day 3. When are you traveling?

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Huacachina with kids?

I see a 7:30am Cruz del Sur bus to Paracas and return 10:45am from Ica 2 days later. Looks like around $100 for the four of us. That second night in Huacacina I booked a B&B in Ica but we could head back to Doubletree in Paracas after sand boarding.

Is your bus pickup not around 3am in Lima?

Mentioned in this post
Paracas
Paracas
Ica Region, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Reply to: Huacachina with kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted