We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on what to pack for 1 month in peru

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on what to pack for 1 month in peru

Hello,

Me and my partner are travelling to peru at the end of june for 1 month and we are wondering what clothes/ shoes / rain gear etc, we have to bring with us without packing too much.

We are going to the following places:

Lima, Paracas, Ica, Nazca, Arequipa, Colca canyon, Puno, Lake titicaca, machu picchu (2 day inca trail) cusco, rainbow mountain, sacred valley, iquitos and the amazon.

How cold does it get to these places? Are sandals going to be needed or only hiking shoes? We know the temperatures vary from place to place but we dont want to pack too much.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Paracas
Paracas
Ica Region, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Colca Canyon
Colca Canyon
4,992 Reviews
Arequipa Region, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Lake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca
1,854 Reviews
Puno, Peru
3 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on what to pack for 1 month in peru

Hi Niovik - here is a link to my own packing link on our blog https:/… which should provide an indication of what is needed. This is basically what I took for six months in Peru. My wife is about to post her list to ( I have been nagging her for ages!)

It does get pretty cold at night, simply because of the high altitude but it can get quite hot during the day as the sun is very strong. Best to dress in layers that you can peel off if needed. Sunglasses and sunscreen are must haves as are hat and gloves.

I would definite take sandals as well as hiking shoes. I have an ultralight waterproof jacket which I take but as you are unlikely to see much, if any rain, I probably wouldn’t bother and would maybe think about a palctic poncho you could pick up when there. That said, a breathable rain jacket does add an extra layer for warmth and is also windproof.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on what to pack for 1 month in peru

Be prepared for multiple climates! I went to the mountains, desert, the Amazon, and the sand dunes of Huacachina. I was able to pack eveything into a 75L backpack, including a sleeping bag and camping gear. Here's my full list: https:/…

You will cut down a lot if you are not bringing your own camping gear like I did. Another key is in bringing layers and wardrobe pieces that serve multiple purposes. It gets pretty cold at night, especially in the deserts.

Plenty of opportunities to buy cool things like the rainbow poncho pictured above, beanies, sweaters, scarves, and gloves made out of wool and even alpaca once you arrive in Peru, so I wouldn't worry about them too much!

Mentioned in this post
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on what to pack for 1 month in peru

Thank you both very much, your suggestions are very helpful!!

Reply to: Suggestions on what to pack for 1 month in peru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted