We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?

Hi all! I'm traveling to Cusco this summer. Doing a 3 day Machu Picchu tour which includes a sacred valley day tour that covers Pisac, Urubamba, Ollantaytambo, and Chinchero. Then we do the day hike to Machu Picchu and an overnight in Aguas Calientes. We're planning to stay in Cusco a few extra days after that to do the SHORT Rainbow Mountain hike (still a long drive starting at 5am) and now we're also interested in a day trip to Humantay Lake. This is already a lot of long, exhausting days and we're wondering if doubling back to the Sacred Valley to do the Moray ruins and Maras salt mines is worth it (money wise and energy wise). Should we sacrifice Humantay Lake? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes
Machu Picchu, Peru
Rainbow Mountain Cusco
Rainbow Mountain Cusco
400 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Humantay Lake
Humantay Lake
197 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
6 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,102 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?

Moray and Maras are certainly interesting sites. They're small and only take a couple hours together to see. Worth it is really subjective. Look at some photos of the sites and see if they seem interesting to you.

Also your full day SV trip sounds like it is inefficient and could be rescheduled to include these. Urubamba is not worth seeing on a short trip. Skip it. Chinchero is near Moray and Maras. You can see all three sites together in a half day, leaving a full day for Ollantaytambo and Chinchero. If your tour to Pisac Urubamba, Ollanta, and Chinchero is a canned group bus tour, I'd find a different one or hire a taxi to take you to where you want to go.

Mentioned in this post
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Pisac
Pisac
3,559 Reviews
Pisac, Peru
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?

Ah, I appreciate this input! The SV day is an optional add on, so it's something we can change. I'm going to look into this. Thanks again.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?

Yes, worth a visit alright as already stated, interesting places. We're just back with AB Expeditions, can't speak highly enough of them, absolutely top class

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?

Just returned from Peru, and Pisac (terraces, not shopping), Ollantaytambo, and Maras were all great. We were scheduled to see Moray, but our tour was cancelled due to a strike. Maras will not take long, but it was one of my very favorite places.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?

I also just returned from Peru and also visited Cusco, Ollantay, Pisco, Maras, Moray nad MP - it is worth to visit also Maras nad Moray but it is only my private subjective opinion, it depend from each person what it is worth of visit and what not. I suggest to rent a taxi, we did - Taxidatum and it was a perfect service we had an English speaking driver, we requested before, and it cost from 80-85 USD. We also take a Taxidatum on way back from Ollantay to hotel in Cusco ( 2 hours) also perfect service, cost 37 USD. It was very comfortably service we stareted at 8:20am nad finished about 4 pm in Ollantay, but not visited Chincero, therefore price 80 USD.

The second very important issue is the altitude sickeness and problems with breathing. We are 50+ but to middle 50 in pretty good shape and condition, skiing regulary between 2000-3000 and higher and never had problems. We expect some problems, but it was a huge problem. My wife suddenly ( it came really suddenly after eating soup at evening) catch the altitude sickness in Puno ( problems already started at night on 3600 m in Colca Canyon) but really it came suddenly at night, nausea, huge headache. I had problems with breathing at night in bed, cannot sllept at all in Puno and Cusco. although hotels provide oxygen service it is only fot 5 minutes per night , which is free, while they have 1 oxygen bomb for 120 rooms (hotel Casona Plaza in Puno - 4 star hotel; we want to pay that was no other provider). I drink also a coca tea and chewed a coca leaves, but without any success. We also had plans to visit Rainbow mountains and tour to lake you mentioned, but finally we must cancelled it, while we concluded that it is not to risk, also there was unexpected rain on day when we want to visit Rainbow Mountains. So be prepared and calculated in your itinerary that you will probably have some problems with breathing or altitude sickness.

Regards Ales

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Taxidatum
Taxidatum
321 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Cuzco, Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?

Totally agree with the others Moray and salineras it's a place to see, You have 2 options you can go in car or do with quad bikes where they are much fun.

Reply to: Moray ruins and Maras salt mines worth adding?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted