We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Topic
Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Hi Folks

If I get a taxi to Tambomachay how long would it take me to walk back to Cusco visiting all four ruins? And is it a nice scenic walk?

Thanks

Debzi

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Probably a couple of hours, depending on how long you spend at each site.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Tambomachay is 9-10km from Cusco on the road to/from Pisac. I would get a taxi or join a tour. There are tours by horse for this area.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Thanks folks. Doesn't sound like this walk is particularly recommended but I'm really not keen on tours. We will probably just get a taxi to take us to all four sites starting with Tambomachay but get it to drop us at the last site and walk back to Cusco from there?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Thanks folks. Doesn't sound like this walk is particularly recommended but I'm really not keen on tours. We will probably just get a taxi to take us to all four sites starting with Tambomachay but get it to drop us at the last site and walk back to Cusco from there?

San Diego
Level Contributor
73 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Fortunately, it's mostly downhill from the ruins to cusco. Taking the taxi to the farthest ruin and walking back shouldn't be too difficult - as long as the altitude doesn't impact you too much. The ruins are all very close to the road. I saw some pedestrians walking between the ruins (I assume tourists because they were blond, looked hot and tired). Just make sure you have enough water. Just remember that pedestrians have absolutely no right of way. You can tell the tourists from the natives by the way they react to cars coming at them. The tourists that are use to having the right of way saunter while the natives actively move out of the way (as in run or jump). I'm surprised we don't read more about tourist pedestrians being hit by cars.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Thanks thats really helpful

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

We did this, intending to walk, and after enjoying Tambomachay we were solicited by an (unofficial) guide at Puka Pukara. We really liked him so agreed to pay him for explanations of the other sites back to Saqsayhuaman. After Puka Pukara he suggested that we catch a colectivo to cut the major part of the (boring) distance between Puka Pukara and Qenqo. This would be easy and inexpensive for anyone to do--as you walk down the road, look for anyone waiting for a bus and ask "colectivo a Cusco?". The colectivos are little white vans, I think 1-2 soles for the ride to Qenqo.

From Qenqo the walk is pleasant on to Saqsayhuaman. I also recommend walking down to Cusco from there--the neighborhoods are interesting to walk though down to the center of Cusco.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Thanks Kenito799, sounds like a great idea. However, how did you know when to get off for Qenqo - feels like that might be s bit tricky?

Debzi

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

The ruins are close to the road. The driver should know where to drop you for Qenqo, and I think there is a sign as well. Qenqo is on the left side of the road as you drive toward Cusco.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tambomachay - Cusco via other ruins

Thanks!