We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

Hi all,

My husband has been wanting to go to Machu Picchu for awhile and we are excited to be planning a trip for 2012 (most likely September).

We have the option of using my mom's timeshare in Cusco for 7 days. This would be free to us (as she won't be using it otherwise and would give it to us as a gift) but I'm getting a nagging feeling that we may be missing out by not staying in other cities.

What do you all think about this? My husband lived in Mexico as a child and is fluent in Spanish, so we would have no problem communicating with others, getting taxis, etc for day trips.

I just started the planning process but would love an educated opinion on this.

Darien
Level Contributor
147 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

We're going next month. We're spending one night in Lima, two in Aguas Calientes and four in Cusco.

Cusco to Machu Picchu and back to Cusco all in the same day is a bit rushed. So, I'd suggest one night in Aguas Calientes or Ollantaytambo.

If you go to MP and then stay over in AC that night, you could take a train to Ollanta the next morning and then see Sacred Valley sites on the way back to Cusco.

Or, you could see the SV on the way out, stay in Ollanta and take a train to MP from there the next morning. Or, take a train that night and stay in AC.

Sites not far from Cusco (e.g. Pisac) can easily be done as day trips from Cusco.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
68 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

I just got back from a trip to Peru and Bolivia last week. My friends and I spent about 7 days in Peru, but we split it up between a few cities. We flew in to Cusco and took a taxi to Ollantaytambo (90 min ride). We visited that town during the day and took an evening train to Aguas Calientes where we spent our first night. We got up first thing the next morning and went to Machu Picchu, then headed back to Cusco on an afternoon train. The following day we flew to Puerto Maldonado (short flight) so we could go to an Amazon jungle lodge for a few days. The Amazon was amazing and was by far the best part of my trip. We booked a 4 day/3 night package at Refugio Amazonas. After that, we headed back to explore Cusco for a few more days before heading home. Cusco was interesting, but I felt like I had seen all I wanted to see in two days of exploration. The Amazon rainforest was the one part of the trip that I wish I had more time for -- I will definitely go back!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

You do not mention the location of the time share.

Cusco has a lot to offer.

Seven days would be great and would allow you to visit all the sites at a slower and more enjoyable pace.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

I stayed in Cusco for 8 days and I had nice time. It is on higher altitude but I took the local medication and I was well the second day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

P.S I meant Local altitude medication.

cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

I suggest the following:

day 1. lima to Cusco early flight. do city tour to acclimatize.

day 2. sacred valley tour and take late train from Olly to AG. spend night.

day 3. AG - early wakeup and go to MP and HP and take later train back to Olly and then return to Cusco and spend night.

day 4. day bus from Cusco to Arequipa scenic. spend night.

day 5. Arequipa -Colca Canyon

day 6. colca canyon

day 7. colca canyon and afternoon in Arequipa.

If you have an extra day you could spend it in Cusco or Arequipa

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
157 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

LondonDiva,

(or any of the TAs)

Could you please expand more on the local altitude medication? What, where etc.?

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

Hi,

3 people from our tour group bought the Altitude sickness medication from Pharmacy in Cusco which worked very well for me and them as well. They went for Inca Trail and I stayed behind in Cusco as I did not get the pass. Sorry I cannot remember the name though, but one person from our tour had brought Diamox ( altitude medication) with him.

Edited: 31 July 2011, 00:48
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
157 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

Thanks. Appreciate the reply!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Days in Cusco or spread across different cities?

I'm doing the same thing. Got a week's time share in Cuzco. But after some research and advice from various sources, we decided to spend the first 2 nights in SV -- to acclimatize in the lower elevation in Ollanta and it is a shorter trip to MP. We're staying right at El Albergue Hotel, right at the train station in Ollanta. Train is 2 hours from Olly to MP, vs. 4 hours from Cuzco to MP. We'll be paying 2 night's hotel and forfeiting those first 2 nights at the time share, but we think it will be worth it if we can acclimatize and enjoy our trip in better health. We'll have 4 days in Cuzco, which I'm told should be plenty. Then 1 night in Lima during our transfer back to U.S. Hope you have fun!