We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ollanta Ruins

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Topic
Ollanta Ruins

We are staying at El Albergue in Ollantantaytambo. How far are the Ruins and town from the hotel?

Do we need a taxi to get from the hotel to the Ruins? How much should we expect to pay one way or roundtrip? Will the same taxi (assume arranged through hotel) wait for us to return to the hotel?

Do we need a guide to walk around the Ruins? If so, should we reserve one ahead of time? Or will there be local guides on-site? Are they safe and trustworthy?

How much time should we expect to spend at the Ruins? How about in Ollanta town -- how much time?

Thank you.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ollanta Ruins

No you don't need a taxi..it's a short walk just go up the hll to the main plaza and turn left. If you are feeling like you prefer not to walk uphill you can hire one of the tuktuks or mototaxis to take you to the top,, and then walk back to El Albergue all downhill.

You can hire the guides on site, no problem. There are some neat things they can point out. A few hours if you just want to see the main parts. Maybe an hour to wander around the old Inca Town. There are also some ruins that you pass on the road into town.

You may want to read up on it a bit as there aren't any signs on the site itself.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 10:19
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ollanta Ruins

Thanks mlgb!

Can I ask... If we get a taxi from El Albergue to Pisac on Sunday, should we go to the Pisac Ruins (top of hill) first? Or go to the Pisac Market first, then the ruins?

It's unclear how we can arrange or communicate with the taxi to wait for us, and where, for the return trip to the hotel? Is there a specific spot -- at the Ruins (top or bottom of hill?) or at the Market -- where we can meet the taxi driver? We'd prefer the same driver vs. finding some random taxi on the street. My husband heard some scarey stories about taxi muggings, and he is now very skeptical and worried.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ollanta Ruins

Here are some pointers about Pisac, taxis and other sites:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294311-i818-k4615…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294311-i818-k4531…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294317-i3351-k438…

I would suggest not to pay much attention to people who impersonate travelers and suggest local agencies, they are flooding the Spanish forums and now they are coming to the English ones. (Also, there are hotels offering outdated/useless advice, you should be careful with those too. They just want you to stay in their hotel/lodging.)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ollanta Ruins

Hire a taxi through the hotel.

Go to Pisac ruins,top of the hill, and tell the taxi to pick you up after your visit to the ruins (its a point known by all taxis) Then drive to Pisac town and go to the parking place located where all the tourist buses wait.

Do your shopping and return to Olly.

This should cost around S/. 130 and will take around 5 hours.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ollanta Ruins

You can ask the staff at the hotel to help you with a taxi near the train station, or you can use their own driver. Usually the taxi is cheaper than their driver.

If you want to walk down from the top of the ruins, which can take a few hours, and is FANTASTIC (as opposed to the short visit at the top) there is a meeting point for the taxis near the bridge, just ask the driver to show you where it is on your way into town. It's easy to find.

6. Re: Ollanta Ruins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 12:17