We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry toilet tissue around?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Topic
Carry toilet tissue around?

I read on other forums that we should carry our own toilet tissues to the various tour sites. Is this accurate?

I also read that due to poor plumbing, the local custom is to throw used tissues into the waste basket, NOT directly into the toilet.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

Yes, carry your own toilet tissue because most places in Peru do not offer toilet tissue, or just a little (not just the tour sites). Just to be on the safe side of the road.

Yes, you should throw tissues into the waste basket, this is done in pretty much everywhere in Peru (few places allow you to throw it into the toilet, if it's allowed you will see a notification , for example in the Sheraton hotel toilets).

For example, the toilets in the Ollantaytambo train station have a warning that reads "please, throw tissues into the basket" or so.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 11:24
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

Thank you.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

I like to carry the pocket-sized Kleenex packages as they are flat and easy to slip into a pocket. As for waste basket disposal, I've never been anywhere in Latin America where you could throw tissue in the toilet.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

A wet tissue will come in handy too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

This will be a new experience! Are the bathrooms clean at least?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

That would depend on where are you going.

Hotels and good restaurants will definitely have clean ones.

Places on the road probably not too clean, sometimes you will find a big tank full of water and a bucket to clean the toilet.

And in some places in the small villages you will find bathrooms you have never seen before

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

What about the usual tourist destinations or famous Ruins? Not that we have any choice so it doesn't matter. Just curious.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

@FalcoG, I suppose you are talking about the squat toilets that many villages (without sewers) have in Peru.

@jlam12 I think you will see pretty much modern toilets (the flush type) in the popular tourist destinations.

BTW, during the first weeks of August, Cusco's airport had not running water. It was awful, just like FalcoG mentioned (a big tank full of water and a bucket) ! Hand sanitizer would be a good idea, too.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 11:44
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

There are no bathrooms inside the Machu Picchu ruins, nor in Sacsayhuaman or for that matter inside of any of the ruins.

As far as I remember there is a public bathroom in Pisac, you will need to have change to pay before using them, it was 50 cents of a sol the last time I was there.

From what I learned while travelling is that if you see a bathroom use it because you do not know when are you going to find another one.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

Yes MayFlower, the squat toilets indeed....I call them folkloric bathrooms