We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry toilet tissue around?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Topic
Carry toilet tissue around?

I read on other forums that we should carry our own toilet tissues to the various tour sites. Is this accurate?

I also read that due to poor plumbing, the local custom is to throw used tissues into the waste basket, NOT directly into the toilet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

Thanks again!

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
157 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

Thanks gang. Appreciate the advice as we are headed their on Sunday.

Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

All of this reminds me of the most practical travel website ever:

http://www.wheredoiputthepaper.com

It seems that Peru is pretty much in the world mainstream, toilet-wise.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

: ) Very good website MsMacha!

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

I carry in my bag a Zip-Loc with:

small bottle of sanitizer

Lysol wipes

Kleenex

"girly" wet wipes-aka "Always" brand

a snack-sized Zip-Loc with broken hotel-sized soaps in it so that I had enough for a single washing at a time. Sanitizer does not actually CLEAN anything, just disinfects. The "girly wipes" were my backup but I hate the fragrances of those on my hands.

This way I could clean EVERYTHING. This time I am also including some ultra-thin plastic bags (think dollar store type small garbage bags) to put on the floor to set my back pack down on. I can just trash it.

Note: Don't expect to see a toilet seat outside of the main tourist areas.

Note #2: For females, an option of a "feminine urinary device" was worth its weight in gold for me. I bought a P-style that I used in very busy areas without any toilet facilities or places to hide--example, mountain pass between Arequipa and Colca Canyon. With just a little practice, you can use this to pee discretely standing up with no one even noticing that is what you are doing. My other half thought that was the coolest thing he had ever seen and kept threatening to take pictures!

Note #3 Almost all public toilets cost 1/2 Sol so be sure to carry small coins ALWAYS. The attendant will provide a portion of paper. Each time, for me, it was more than enough. I am not sure what the fee is used for because rarely does there seem to be any investment in cleaning/disinfecting products.

Note #4 Before entering a public toilet, I recommend putting some smelly lipgloss or Carmex on to help counteract the odor of the place. Seriously. If you can smell the place from a distance and you are desperate to use it, put the Carmex on your nostrils. Again, SERIOUSLY!

This is all part of the adventure.

16. Re: Carry toilet tissue around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 12:18