We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

Kettering, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
466 reviews
Save Topic
Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

I am coming to see Machu Pichu and the surrounding area in February. I am not sure whether to just come or go with a tour. If I come without a tour, are there local tours and day trips that I can sign up with at hotels or local kiosks. Is it easier to sign up for a package back in the USA. I don't want to miss out on Machu Pichu.

1. Re: Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2012, 02:20
West New York, New...
Level Contributor
225 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

I'm not sure if you're planning to do the Inca Trail but for your info the trail is closed on February since it's the rainest month in Machu Picchu area. Since it's the low season there's no need to buy anything ahead through tours.

Mentioned in this post
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
3,088 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
3. Re: Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 03:46
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

Listen to Victor.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

It may be low season in Feb, but Machu Picchu is still crowded...I know cos I was there in Feb. But no worries, u can easily join day trips thru' your hotel or the many agencies in Cusco. But Cusco is not crowded at all, so hotel rates are pretty good. Still best to book ahead your train ticket cos the trains will be full even in Feb. Didn't see an empty seat at all...actually I was surprised to see crowds in Machu Picchu cos Cusco was almost deserted in Feb...

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

My family of 5 just returned from a week in Cusco/MP. The tour packages are a lot more expensive so we booked everything on our own. We used David Choque (dchoquem@terra.com.pe) as our private guide for 2 day trips from Cusco around the Sacred Valley (the first day to Pisac and the second to Chinchero, Salinas, Moray before boarding our train to MP in the afternoon). David speaks fluent English and uses a driver with a van, so he can accommodate any size group. We set it up with him a week or two before the trip. He's a really nice guy and I highly recommend him. (For the record, I contacted both David Choque and Sofia Barreda--as recommended by folks on tripadvisor. Their prices were comparable; I went with David because he responded first.) There are many guides at the entrance of MP--we found one that way and had a good tour. Our hotel in Aguas Calientes offered to set us up with a guide as well. Just make sure to buy your train tickets and MP entrance tickets in advance. Like you, we were there in the off season, but the train was full. If you haven't already seen it, this website is very helpful: http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Pisac
Pisac
3,542 Reviews
Pisac, Peru
Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes
Machu Picchu, Peru
Kettering, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

I decided to just do day trips once I get to CUSCO. Coincidentally, I will be flying into Lima on Feb 18 and then coming to CUZCO. I noticed that it is carnival time. Is there much celebrations in CUSCO. Is it worth staying in Lima for a day and catching some of the carnival celebrations before coming to cusco. I've enjoyed Carnival in Venice, Italy. But don't know what's it like in Lima or Cusco if there is much celebrations. The trip is still primarily Machu Pichu.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
8. Re: Coming To Cusco and Machu Pichu - Tour Package or Alone

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 08 February 2013, 18:19