We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Peru

We are going in April, we are in our late 50's, I would say good condition....I was in Jacksonhole, about 10,000, and my feet for a short time felt like lead but after awhile I was ok. Would walking before I go, help with the elevation?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru

The best way is to stay the first few nights in the Sacred Valley (around 9000 feet) perhaps a night in Aguas Calientes, (even lower), then at the end stay in Cusco (11,000 feet).

Fitness has little to do with how you respond to altitude, everyone is different.

Read the info here.

www.ismmed.org/np_altitude_tutorial.htm

Check with your doctor and ask about Diamox.

Mentioned in this post
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes
Machu Picchu, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
California
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru

Thank you for your information, I will speak to my doctor before going. Also, looked at my itinerary and we are going straight to Lima for 3 days then Urubamba Sacred Valley for 2 nites then on to Cuzco and Puno.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Goderich, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru

We are also heading to Peru in April 2012...tour booked...3 days Cusco then onto hike Inca Trail and to Machu Picchu...that ends that tour...we are wanting to extend trip by a couple days...possibly jungle tour any reccomendations from anyone as to a good extra trip to add on...a must see while in Peru?

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
1,991 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
NW California
Level Contributor
13 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru

My wife and I just returned from a 2 week Peru trip. We are in our mid-50s and had no problems. We spent 2 nights in Cusco before heading to Aquas Caliente for 1 night. We hike alot at Machu Picchu, including climbing Wayna Picchu. We felt the altitude but had no real problems.

Have a great trip it was great for us.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
NW California
Level Contributor
13 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru

We went to Refugio Amazonas and really enjoyed the experience. We did the 4 day/3 night program and then spent 1 night in Puerto Malonado upon our return. I would suggest staying 3 nights at a minimum at one of the jungle lodges but not necessarily spend any time in Puerto Malonado.

Goderich, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru

Could you give more details on Refugio Amazonas....where is it compared to Cusco?...how did you get there?...what did you see, what is there?....was it worth the money and by the way how much was it?

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Goderich, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Peru

Could you give more details on Aquas Caliente?..where is it compared to Cusco...how did you get there....what did you see or do there....what was the cost and was it worth it?

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
NW California
Level Contributor
13 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peru

Refugio Amazonas is accessed via boat from Puerto Maldonado. It is a lodge run by rainforest expeditions. (www.perunature.com). It was spendy, especially compared to the rest of our trip, but well worth it. Both starperu and lan fly from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado, which added to the expense. They run 3 lodges in the area, I suspect they are all equally nice.

Mentioned in this post
Refugio Amazonas
Refugio Amazonas
892 Reviews
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
794 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peru

you could just stay a few extra nights in Cuzco and take it easy initially. Take lots of Coca tea, fluids, and keep the diet light, and avoid alcohol. Oddly, the smokers were always the ones that felt fine...

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peru

Aguas Calientes is the village at the base of Machu Picchu. The train from Cusco or Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley) to Machu Picchu arrives there, then you take the 20-min. bus ride up the mountain. Or, you can hike in via the Inca Trail & leave by train from Aguas Calientes.

Some people choose to overnight in Aguas Calientes so they can get an early start to Machu Picchu, or to stay late (though the site closes no later than 5:30 p.m.). Or, to visit Machu Picchu on two days -- but a separate entry fee must be paid for each day.

Aguas Calientes has a wide range of lodging options -- from cheap hostels to very luxurious resort-like hotels, with much in-between.

The altitude there is about 8000ft -- lower than Cusco and even lower than the Sacred Valley. You likely will not have any altitude problems there. It's better to head directly to the Sacred Valley (or Machu Picchu) upon arrival at the Cusco Airport, instead of staying in Cusco first. If you start at an altitude like the Sacred Valley or Aguas Calientes, you will probably be fine & will be gradually acclimatizing your body to the altitude, so that by the time you get back to Cusco to stay (after visiting Machu Picchu), you won't have much problem with altitude.

Mentioned in this post
Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes
Machu Picchu, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo