We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima to Cuzco

Hertfordshire...
10 posts
Save Topic
Lima to Cuzco

Has anyone used Peruvian Airlines to fly to and from Cuzco? We are looking to fly in the middle of January and stay 2 nights then fly back to Lima early morning on day 3. We need to be in Lima no later than 11.00 hours to get back on our cruise ship. This airline is much cheaper than LAN, and has a flight scheduled for 07.40 that arrives at 08.50, which would seem to meet the bill, but I cannot find any information about their "timekeeping". I would really like to know whether they suffer delays. Any advice would be appreciated please.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima to Cuzco

I have flown with Peruvian several times and believe was only delayed once (this may have been on Star Peru). That particular day all the flights out of Cusco were delayed due to weather, and as you are traveling in January, which is the peak of the rainy season, delays will be a real possibility with any airline.

While I haven’t seen it myself, I have been told by a reliable source that there are occasions when the LAN flights will still be departing and others not. Due to your tight schedule, you may want to consider flying LAN, and I would also consider some good travel insurance that would cover a flight to the next port, in the event there are delays that cause you to miss the ship departure.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima to Cuzco

Lan has many more planes and flights scheduled per day as well. In case of delays you will have a much better chance in getting on a flight with Lan than Peruvian Airlines.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima to Cuzco

Apparently if you tell Peruvian that you have an onward flight/connection when you book if there are then any problems with delays they will put you on a LAN flight to ensure you meet your connection. A travel agency friend shared this tip with me the other day but they have to have it noted in their system...

However, it might just be easier to pay the extra and book with LAN.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima to Cuzco

Peruvian Airlines cancel A LOT in rainy season. I have taken Lan flights from Lima-Cusco and in the airport saw the Peruvian/Star flights being cancelled due to bad weather, but the Lan flights went, and when I got to Cusco the weather was fine. The planes Peruvian and Star use are smaller and not as good as Lan so they cancel when there is rain, it is quite common and is the reason their prices are so cheap

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima to Cuzco

Rain does not cause flights to be cancelled. More likely it is wind or limited visibility (which could be true if it is raining hard enough). Even LAN flights can be cancelled if there are problems with wind, but as you say they have many more flights and you have a better chance of getting out that same day with LAN.

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima to Cuzco

If it is a deadline you cannot miss, then Lan is definitely the better bet. Their planes are better equipped to land in the problem conditions that could well occur in January

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima to Cuzco

Be sure that you have insurance for a missed connection, personally in January there is mo way I would fly back in the morning to catch a departing cruise the same day at 11am. I would not even recommend it in dry season!

I would be too worried the whole time about missing the cruise. Where is the next port, in case you do miss it? Will it be in Peru?

Edited: 06 December 2013, 01:32
8. Re: Lima to Cuzco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 14:19