We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

London, United...
4 posts
Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

Hello, i really want to buy a property in Veliko Turonovo, I just wanted to know how it would be for a black person living here, or is there anywhere particular that would be recommended. The property that I have seen is very much like a farm, and it is ideal for me than what the UK has to offer in terms of pricing, I have just seen mixed reviews, I do not mind the staring but the N word is a big thing. So i am just trying to find somewhere in Bulgaria because realistically the price is right and it looks nice.

Many Thanks

Letty

8 replies to this topic
Province of...
Level Contributor
949 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

Hi Letty you should not have any problems living in VT or surrounding areas . Some of my friends are Black and they do not have a problem there.

VT is a beautiful place, it is full of character and a very cheap place to live.

I presume that you are looking at houses in the outlying villages.

Be very careful how you read advertisements. Look for a village that has some more expats living in it.

Be careful with prices also and dont get caught for high transfer costs. There are many out there who misrepresent what they are selling and who charge three and possibly four times the rate for transferring a house.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 22:06
London, United...
4 posts
2. Re: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

Thanks TNNKY, for your quick response. It is in an area called Gorna Studena, and the property is being sold by a company called RightHome. BG, I have checked out there website and they have listed out in there buy and sell property abroad section; all the costs and process for legalisation. I have been told to be careful, so I was really glad that they didn’t hide the fees, as I know all the areas they are talking about in their descriptions very well. Besides getting a lawyer, have you got any other tips for me.

Thanks for all your help!

Letty

Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

I`ll just chuck this in to the pot. Get your own lawyer to check everything out. VT is a great place to visit - view before you buy.

I really don`t think, because you are black, it will be a problem. Why not visit before you buy and make your own mind up ?

There are other threads concerning the same topic. Use the search above to find them. Personally I think you will be fine.

Best,

Paul

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
167 posts
4. Re: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

Regarding the N word, there is a word in Bulgarian - негър (NEH-gur) - which means a person of the black race. It's not derogatory but many English speakers think it is because it sounds just like the N word (in fact, it has the same origin, from Spanish/Latin; negro in Spanish is the color black). This word is falling out of use due to English influence where this word is offensive. But if you hear it, it's not an insult.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 00:54
London, United...
4 posts
5. Re: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

Hi Paul,

I did look at the other forums (particularly yours lol), just needed a helping guidance into mine because, I did not know or could find anything out about Gorna Studena. I will definitely be taking my own lawyer.

Many Thanks Paul.

Colette

London, United...
4 posts
6. Re: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

Thanks Advice_12 atleast I know that it is not a direct insult to insinuate a form of starting trouble we’re its not called for. Is English well spoken in Veliko Turonovo? Tarnovo? I do intend to learn Bulgarian language anyway as this would be a great benefit for me, but I am also aware that this is going to be difficult as it is not a native language for me.

Many Thanks

Colette

Province of...
Level Contributor
949 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

You do know that Gorna Studenta is 40 miles away, 90 min drive from Veliko Tarnovo. I flag this as you ask what Veliko Tarnovo is like.

I do not know if you are buying a house to do it up or if you are buying a house that has been done up. Either way do not pay any monies until you see the house and examine it well.

Make sure you are not buying a mud house, or a part mud house. I know that the nearby village of Maslarevo has several mud houses.

I personally would rather be nearer to VT for a number of reasons.

If you live in a village such as Dascot or Paskalevits (several expats live here) or indeed Lescicheri, to name just a few, you are half and hour from Veliko Tarnovo; You are practically on the new Hemus Motorway (not fully completed yet) and you will be near to the airport of gorna Oryahovitsa- should be in operation within a year or two.

From my experience of buying and selling in Bulgaria I have found that Lawyers are a rip off and that they cannot do any more than what the Notary Public has on record.

The main role of the Bulgarian notary public is to certify and to make all subsequent checks – identity check, ownership and property encumbrances checks etc. notaries can also be asked by the parties for consultation and preparation of documents,

Unlike in the UK Solicitors in Bulgaria cannot certify documents.

I did not use solicitors because the Notary has all the facts and the total transaction fee should not be more than €500.00. Remember the buyer pays all the fees.

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?

Уou have to know that Bulgaria is a little strange place, on the Balkans, you know... On the one hand is nice and good, on the other - bad and rude. You can expect everything :) It depends on what situation you will put yourself in and what is important to you. Veliko Turnovo is one of the favorite cities in Bulgaria. With rich history and so many beautiful views. Take the risk and go :)

Reply to: Veliko Turonovo - What is it like?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted