We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking prescription drugs into Croatia

wallasey
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Taking prescription drugs into Croatia

Hi

Anyone know for certain if I can take Amatryptaline and Zapain into Croatia or can I get something similar over the counter there

Be grateful for quick response as go soon oops !!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Five Island Speedboat Tour Featuring...
86 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Free Cancellation
Likely To Sell Out
6 Islands and Caves Small-Group Tour...
99 Reviews
from US$172.40*
Free Cancellation
Viator Exclusive: 'Game of Thrones...
622 Reviews
from US$68.40*
Free Cancellation
5 replies to this topic
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking prescription drugs into Croatia

My experience of Croatia is that you cannot readily buy prescription drugs OTC - the rules are more like the UK. I ran out of a prescription drug whilst there once (Tranexamic acid) and it was made clear by the pharmacist that I would have to go to a doctor to obtain it even if they prescribed it in Croatia which apparently they don't. Even things like ibuprofen are the high cost versions in pharmacists not the cheap supermarket ones you can get in the UK. Thus, I would take the drugs and a copy of your prescription with you.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,204 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking prescription drugs into Croatia

If you have a prescription from your UK GP, they would issue you the medicine in Croatian pharmacy - you would only have to pay for it.

I was once told in the pharmacy in Marmontova street in Split that there is a rule how foreigners can be issued prescription drugs once, even if they don't have a prescription with them, by having the data from your passport recorded - and I was allowed to have that drug I needed in the described way

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking prescription drugs into Croatia

I twice required a prescription medication here and was given it the first time several years ago by a pharmacist but the second time (last year) my pharmacist said I must see a doctor (though I had a prescription from Canada and just needed a few more pills) which I did. Medications here are incredibly cheap. You can always go to a tourist hospital to see a doctor for a script if necessary.

Bring your medications in original containers in case they get checked at airports (rare). Your particular medications are common.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 19:59
wallasey
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking prescription drugs into Croatia

Thanks everyone

more the Zapain I was concerned with with it having Codiene it is banned in quite a few countries even with prescription

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking prescription drugs into Croatia

Codeine is indeed banned in some countries...be sure to check the prohibited list.

Reply to: Taking prescription drugs into Croatia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted