We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cricova and Milestii Mici or Orheiul Vechi?

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Cricova and Milestii Mici or Orheiul Vechi?

Hi,

I have a day to see the sights of Moldova. I am really interested in the wineries, particularly Cricova (for its sparkling wine) and Milestii Mici (for it being the world's largest collection). I have contacted a local travel agent to see about setting up a private tour to both on the same day. She has suggested that perhaps it would be better to go to only Cricova and to check out Orheiul Vechi. She said Cricova is a better visit and has better wine than Milestii Mici. But it's not the world's largest. If I just stick with the two wineries, and skip Orheiul Vechi, am I really missing anything? Is it worth it?

I'm torn as to what to do! I want to see it all, but I can't! Suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Moldova
Moldova
Europe
Milestii Mici
Milestii Mici
347 Reviews
Chisinau, Moldova
4 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cricova and Milestii Mici or Orheiul Vechi?

We did Cricova and Orheiul Vechi in a day. Cricova definitely has excellent sparkling wines but Orheiul Vechi is a small site so a little disappointing. We didn't go to Milestii Mici so I really don't know if it has more to offer or if it's just more of the same.

Mentioned in this post
Milestii Mici
Milestii Mici
347 Reviews
Chisinau, Moldova
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cricova and Milestii Mici or Orheiul Vechi?

Orheiul Vechi is recommended for hiking in untouched countryside and villages. You can go there by local bus.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
800 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cricova and Milestii Mici or Orheiul Vechi?

I did Milestii Mici with a local driver from my hotel and it was really cool. From the people I know who are from Chișinău, they were the ones to tell me to do Milestii Mici over Cricova. I wasn't disappointed. Very few others there and had a great time in the underground winery. Never did make it to Cricova to compare though if they were in fact correct...

Mentioned in this post
Milestii Mici
Milestii Mici
347 Reviews
Chisinau, Moldova
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cricova and Milestii Mici or Orheiul Vechi?

I would also recommend Castelul Mimi (or Mimi Castle). It has a lot of wine, it shows you how it's made and you can choose a tasting option.

Reply to: Cricova and Milestii Mici or Orheiul Vechi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moldova