We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The vagaries of apply for Russian visa

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The vagaries of apply for Russian visa

I had contacted a Russian Consular official who would be in Melbourne at a date after I got all documents needed—-so I down loaded the manual forms off Russian Consular website and shuddered at their

complexity especially the “countries you have visited over 10 yr “

Upon seeing this official she said “No it must be electronic “

So off I went to complete it electronically

but got to countries visited and all needed

(Or space allowed ) were two

That’s behind now cos my visa has been approved but I for one found whole thing frustrating

6 replies to this topic
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
719 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The vagaries of apply for Russian visa

They don't ask the Irish about the countries visited, their policies are reciprocal, even down to the cost - as in the Australian government does something similar to russians looking for a visa. Their intention is that you complain to your government! I know strange. The online form whilst unfriendly is a big improvement as you know when it's correct.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The vagaries of apply for Russian visa

Seems like I made a mountain over a mole hill

Electronic is way to go because you hit

“submit” before you print the paper work you send by Express post —they actually have it and give you a ID number

Gee their neighbor Mongolia was a breeze and a 72 hr turn around abeit $230

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
267 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The vagaries of apply for Russian visa

I'm surprised you actually got in touch with a consulate official. My emails and phone calls remained unanswered and that was 2 years ago.

Yes the whole countries in 10 year thing is a pain the the backside but you can really only put from what you can see the entry/exit stamps.

I didn't have a real problem with it. It was just long and asking a lot of questions.

Unfortunately we can only get a 30 day visa unlike Americans who can get 3 years.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The vagaries of apply for Russian visa

Melbourne—Brisbane share a one only official who flits between the two cities

Whether it’s organised or sporadic I have no idea

Had I had to put 10 year countries visited

I had some 40 to try to squeeze in

And further to that they required two facing pages which my passport did not have so a new one needed (12 months still left on old

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The vagaries of apply for Russian visa

We did ours totally online & then posted the printed application + fee, photos & passports. Took about 15 mins to complete online. No problems with the countries visited (we had many). Took roughly 3 weeks for passports to be returned with visas inside. Really it is not a big deal, just a little time ensuring you give them the details required.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The vagaries of apply for Russian visa

Am not as sharp as I was when younger and just got a tad overwhelmed but that aside your right nothing much to it

One thing I was glad about that my invitation- voucher came when it did and Sydney Russian Consulate received my Express envelope 11.40 am on May 15th—-they posted it on May 29th(a Friday) I received it June 1st

Reply to: The vagaries of apply for Russian visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;