We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Balkans with Family Belgrade --Prishtina -- Skopje

1 post
Save Topic
Driving Balkans with Family Belgrade --Prishtina -- Skopje

Hello All,

I am planning to drive with my family on a rental car from Belgrade to Prishtina to Skopje to Tirana to Kotor to Dubrovnik to Sarajevo and back to Belgrade.

My wife and three children, 13 years, 7 years and 1 year old will be traveling along. We hold both Canadian and US passports.

My main question is, if I drive from Belgrade to Prishtina and get stamps of Kosovo on my passport and later I enter Macedonia direct from Kosovo and don't have exit stamp of Serbia while entering Kosovo as Serbian does not stamp passport on that border. And later on I continue my trip to Albania and Montenegro and Croatia and then Bosnia.

Question 1: Will I face any issue entering Serbia from Bosnia considering I had exited Serbia into Kosovo without exit stamp and at the same time I have Kosovo entry and exit stamps to Macedonia?

Question 2: What documents I require to travel on rental car into all these countries like insurance or any special permits or licenses?

Question 3: How many days should I allocate to each city? We are not very fond of going into very details of any place. We just want to drive around and have idea of the region. We can drive 3 to 4 hours daily and unto 5 hours too if required.

Question 4: What is the best way to rent a car in Belgrade for 10 days trip?

I ll be eagerly waiting to hear the suggestions as my trip starts in 5 days from now. I am good at driving and don't mind driving at any types of roads. I know this is not a trip where children would enjoy too much but I really wanted to do this trip and will be taking children to their preferred place after this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje Region, Republic of Macedonia
Tirana
Tirana
Tirana County, Albania
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Sarajevo
Sarajevo
Sarajevo Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Serbia
Serbia
Europe
Albania
Albania
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Balkans with Family Belgrade --Prishtina -- Skopje

too ambitious for 10 days … it gives you less then 2 days per city (or even less if Belgrade is included in the 10 days which is not clear from your post)

regarding your main question you will have no issues with re-entering Serbia through Bosnia but is Pristina really worth it for this tight schedule? you are underestimating driving times in the Balkans

you can start your trip as planned and see how it goes. you can aways shortcut back to Serbia

Mentioned in this post
Serbia
Serbia
Europe
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Balkans with Family Belgrade --Prishtina -- Skopje

Have to say I wouldn't recommend this with family of children, especially 1-year old. Temps are pretty high, it's a lot of driving with no interest for kids.

So often less is more.

For Kosovo it's not an issue as you've arrived in Serbia first. It's only an issue if you go from Kosovo into Serbia without first arriving in Serbia beforehand.

Overall with 5-days to go, it seems a bot late to ask for itinerary advice and travel document questions. Hopefully someone else can help you but I'd really reconsider what you have planned. Just my advice.

Stoofer

Mentioned in this post
Serbia
Serbia
Europe
Reply to: Driving Balkans with Family Belgrade --Prishtina -- Skopje
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted