We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

current situation in Nicaragua

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
current situation in Nicaragua

I am hoping to plan an upcoming trip to Nicaragua and am wondering if anyone would reconsider, given the current situation there. I have never been so am looking for insight. Thanks.

73 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

We are going to Nicaragua too. I don't think tourists' safety is an issue because most protests are generally held in highly populated areas.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

Following I'm going in June and am very unsure about what to do.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

I work for an international company that has an office in Nicaragua and spoke to the manager there who flat out recommended I not come. This is from someone who lives and works in Nicaragua. I've cancelled my trip. I was able to change my flight and waive the change fee, only paying the difference in far. The airbnb has refunded my stay and the spanish school I was supposed to go to is also refunding my deposit. I'm sad about the whole thing but I just don't think it's worth it to go. I was supposed to travel in July.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

After today Dialogue we will see how everything evolve, of course there has being roadblocks, pacific protest, some riots at night time, no tourist has being harm but of course is not the peaceful Nicaragua we have being showing people.

Feel free to ask me how everything is developing in the country if you still want to come to the country

byronortega@hotmail.com 505 88039312

Enjoy Nicaragua

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

Don't do it. The situation is too volatile and seems to be becoming worse every day. I am here in Managua and have travelled from Leon. There are roadblocks which cause about 2 hour delays and are very intimidating. Flights are being cancelled. The airport is now closed in the evenings, which means scheduled flights are postponed till the following morning. Transport around Managua is poor, with only taxis yesterday. I believe that because the police are now off the streets (or protecting Sandanista protestors, who are in the minority) there is more petty crime and delinquents are taking advantage of it.

San Juan del Sur...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

Nicaragua has never been dangerous for tourists and none have been injured or killed. Do as the US state department said avoid the big demonstrations that's a slam dunk.

Now shuttles & taxis are running but if a peaceful road block is set up buy the students they will let you pass. Your local drivers will take care they do it all the time & that's their job.

But for experienced back packers the chicken buses are iffy so expect to pay for an espresso or group shuttle.

I haven't here of one expat in Nicaragua worrying enough to leave that tells the story.

Enjoy your trip Nicaraguans living in poverty need their jobs.

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

I live in San Juan del Sur and it's still very much the chilled out beach town that it's known to be. I work with tourists and haven't heard any negative stories apart from the odd delay on the roads which is hardly a reason to cancel your trip.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
102 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

I wouldnt go and be cautious of business owners downplaying the situation. Wait until it's sorted out.

A nice place
Level Contributor
935 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

Just yesterday at least 3 people were killed and more than 34 injured. There are road blocks all over the country. Tourists have been robbed, even in remote areas. Delinquents are taking advantage of the situation, supermarkets have been ransacked. The situation is completely out of controls. It is a beautiful country and worth a visit, but not now.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: current situation in Nicaragua

As much as I hate to say it, I am looking into changing my flight for July. United said they would waive the change fee. It takes a lot to rattle me, and this situation looks like it's getting worse by the day.

Reply to: current situation in Nicaragua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted