We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

folk healers and need itinerary help please! Jan 1-7 2015

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
folk healers and need itinerary help please! Jan 1-7 2015

Hello!

Planning a last minute trip to Nicaragua Jan 1-7 for my mom (48), sister (23) and myself (27). We haven't traveled much outside of the US so this will be our first time in YEARS!

Can anyone help me plan an itinerary or give me ideas? My mom is Nicaraguan and hasn't been back to Nicaragua in 28 years!

We are planning on staying in Granada for the duration of the trip. What we would like to do:

sunset horseback riding, volcano boarding, find sea turtles, ziplining, LOTS of photography, and anything else that anyone recommends. I would also like to volunteer somewhere if time permits. Would love to help out the local community.

My mom really wants to go to Diriomo and see a folk healer. Shes very into fortune tellers lol. Where do you all recommend? Which volcano? Which tour group? We speak fluent spanish and english. Thanks and God Bless!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: folk healers and need itinerary help please! Jan 1-7 2015

Greetings Amy:

Granada isn't the place to stay if you want beaches and volcano boarding. Leon is the place for volcano boarding (Cerro Negro). Ziplining is great on Mombacho Volcano near Granada and Diriomo isn't far away to go and see a healer.

If you do a search for "brujas de Diriomo" on a search engine you'll find several articles in Spanish that will give you a start on where to go for that.

If you are set on the volcano boarding, best make a plan to stay a night or two in Leon. You can probably take care of the turtles there too, but keep in mind if you want to assist in their birth and getting the tiny babies to the sea safely, that only happens during certain times of the year.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde, Managua

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: folk healers and need itinerary help please! Jan 1-7 2015

Hola.

From what I heard about the activities that you want do to you need to stay at least in 3 different cities Granada,Leon, san juan del sur but I would add Ometepe to this trip. As the sand boarding can be done only at cerro negro and is about an hour away from Leon and 3.5 hours away from Granada Aldo the city of leon is a beautiful colonial city and 39 minutes away from the coast. Granada is another must stop city to do day trips to Masaya active volcano and white town mombacho volcano with zip pinning and a half day or afternoon for una cita con el brujo de Diriomo. San juan del sur for turtle watching and Ometepe because is a fantastic place while you are in Nicaragua.

For a tour company I recommend

http://golocalnicaragua.wix.com/nicaragua so they really can help you with the appointment at Diriomo.

Have a great trip and Bienvenida a Casa.

Granada, Nicaragua
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: folk healers and need itinerary help please! Jan 1-7 2015

Hi

As Byron and El Porton Verde said for your activities you have to stay on 3 different places... Horsback Riding and Turtles at San Juan del Sur, Sandboarding in Leon and Granada for Zip Line and folk healer...As you only 3 days i think its to much to travel...

Personally i would never evere stay 7 days in Granada this bigger overrated village..Granada will be packed of tourist at this time of the year Means on main street where is almost every house a bar dor Restaurant there is much noise as every Bar plays there own music, than you have noice of locals which makes sume folkloris shoes, breakdance, kids begging on every table,,, Street noise and firecrackers all night long...Thats real Granada

Posiive there are many hotels and even more Restaurants which doesnt mean that the qualitiy is that good 8 Italians and only 2 are above average....5 Irish Pup, 5 SPort Bars etc etc...You will feel like in your homecity...and you will not get at alll a Nicaragua feeling, BUt if you like to feel like in NYC you will like it

Cheers

Salta

4. Re: folk healers and need itinerary help please! Jan 1-7 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2015, 13:16