We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on tipping

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on tipping

Just wondering what the usual tipping practice is for tours, taxis, private drivers, restaurants etc. Is it expected and if so, how much is the "right" amount for decent service?

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on tipping

for restaurants, many automatically include a 10 or 15% "propina voluntaria". those that dont, that can be a good general idea of how much to tip.

Although for places like comedors and fritangas on the street ive always been told by locals they dont expect tips. sometimes i leave a few cords though.

i never do/take the other options you mentioned though so i cant answer that part.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on tipping

Hi Claudia: I think LEE has it about right as far as restaurants. You need to carefully review each restaurant bill to see if they include the ten percent or not. At a comedor or other casual place I would just leave a few cordobas from the change on the table.

I wouldn't tip taxi drivers unless they really went out of their way for you. As someone giving tours, it is really nice to get a tip and very much appreciated, but I don't expect a tip by any means. Where I think they really almost expect a tip is the captain of the boat you go on for an Isletas cruise near Granada. I usually would tip five or ten dollars for those guys. I also tip hotel cleaning staff since I know its a lot of work they do :)

There are no hard and fast tipping rules in Nicaragua.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde, Managua

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on tipping

Thanks for the input. Can someone explain the "voluntary tip"...doesn't sound very voluntary if it automatically goes on your bill? what if it is added on and the service was really bad? Are you still expected to pay it?

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on tipping

it is a separate line item at the bottom of the check...if you decide to pay the amount without the tip the waiter will remind you thinking you didn't understand or see the amount to be paid. But of course it is up to you to pay or not...

At some restaurants the check will say that the amount does not cover tip or there are signs "no incluye propino voluntario" to let you know the score.

At any good restaurant, if you don't pay the tip, a manager should come over and ask if there was a problem with your food or the service, but don't count on it!

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions on tipping

Thanks Mike.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
361 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions on tipping

Hi Claudia

As already mentioned check in Restaurant on bil if tips are included. Through the country i normally give a few cords for other services...Average salary is about USD 2 per day...so tip should be below...

Salta

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions on tipping

Thanks Salta. I suspect the tour guides make more than this based on what they charge so therefore would expect more?

8. Re: Questions on tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2015, 03:18