We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should we do with 2 weeks in Nicaragua?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What should we do with 2 weeks in Nicaragua?

We are a couple in our early 30's looking to spend two weeks in Nicaragua the end of January or early February. Last year we spent two weeks in Panama- hiking and checking out waterfalls in El Valle de Anton, beaching it and island exploring in Boca Chica and then drove across the Continental Divide (beautiful!), ditched our rental car and spent the end of our trip bumming around Bocas Del Toro. We had a great time and would love a similar experience. We like nature, the beach, and also a few restaurants/bars but not a party scene. I'd also like opinions on renting a truck and doing our own driving. I've done this in both Panama and Costa Rica and aside from a few rough spots/unpaved roads, no real issues. Roads similar in Nicaragua? Any and all thoughts welcome, and thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Panama
Panama
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should we do with 2 weeks in Nicaragua?

Greetings Destene:

I think renting a vehicle can be good for people who don't want to be tied to one spot and dependent on others for getting around. The roads are generally good here in Nicaragua, at least the main highways are in much better shape then they were years ago. There are "Four Essential Nicaraguan Driving Tips" I wrote about on my blog that might help you decide:

elportonverde.com/2011/…

For your beach, decide if you want to take the time, effort and expense to get to Corn Islands. If you liked Bocas you probably would like it there too. If you don't have time to do that on this trip, consider a smaller beach town such as Playa Gigante, Tola, Rivas. Again, I have a blog post for that, off the beaten path surfing and fishing villages:)

elportonverde.com/2013/…

San Juan del Sur is a major party scene now and although you can avoid much of the raucousness, it probably isn't for you.

You might like going up to Matagalpa and/or Esteli to see some mountains and nice nature areas. If you want to jungle trek, consider the Rio San Juan area.

Lots of options, but not enough time on a two-week mission. Most folks for two weeks do the golden triangle of Granada, Ometepe, and San Juan del Sur. Ometepe Island is definitely a wonder of the world.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde, Managua

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Corn Islands
Corn Islands
Southern Atlantic Autonomous Region, Nicaragua
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Playa Gigante
Playa Gigante
Rivas Department, Nicaragua
Tola
Tola
San Juan del Sur
San Juan del Sur
Matagalpa
Matagalpa
Matagalpa Department, Nicaragua
Esteli
Esteli
Esteli Department, Nicaragua
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should we do with 2 weeks in Nicaragua?

Wonderful options! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will begin my research with your recommendations. All the best to you.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should we do with 2 weeks in Nicaragua?

Destene,

Definetely you can do lots in a 2 week period of time, i will first go to Leon, Granada, Ometepe, San Juan del Sur and Corn Islands. I will probably do as follows.

Managua - Leon

Leon

Leon,

Granada

Granada

Granada

Ometepe

Ometepe

San Juan del Sur

San Juan del Sur

San Juan del Sur

Corn Island

Corn Island

Corn Island

Give or take a day to a destination

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Leon Department, Nicaragua
Granada
Granada
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
San Juan del Sur
San Juan del Sur
Corn Islands
Corn Islands
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should we do with 2 weeks in Nicaragua?

There is definitely lots to do in each destination, i think that you should compare how it will be for everything, renting a car and having someone drive you around.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should we do with 2 weeks in Nicaragua?

We loved Leon especially the "revolutionary tour". Also loved Ometepe and stayed at La Omaja up in the hills away from the sand flies and with fantastic views and pool and lots of stuff to do around there including hiring a motorbike and touring the island. Granada was lovely also but watch out for the mozzies and dengue fever. If we had more time we would have gone to the Corn Islands.

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Leon Department, Nicaragua
Isla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe
La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant
La Omaja Hotel and...
325 Reviews
Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua
Granada
Granada
Corn Islands
Corn Islands
6. Re: What should we do with 2 weeks in Nicaragua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2015, 13:16
;