We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car or hire taxi driver from Managua to condo by SJDS?

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
485 posts
1 review
Rent car or hire taxi driver from Managua to condo by SJDS?

We usually rent a car when we travel. We are going to be flying in from corn islands around 5:30pm, then we need to either rent a car or hire a driver to get us to our condo down towards San Juan del sur. We are always happy to hang out and relax but I'm wondering if there activities or attractions out and about that we'll want a car for to go explore. We typically aren't into guided tours and prefer to explore on our own. Are there things we should make sure we do and see while in the area that require a vehicle? We plan on either having our meals prepared in our condo or their is a local restaurant within walking distance. Thanks!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Rent car or hire taxi driver from Managua to condo by SJDS?

Greetings chaloop:

I think you have two questions here: 1) how to get from MGA to SJdS and 2) is it worth having a rental car in SJdS, so I'll address them as such.

I would not rent a car to drive at night to San Juan del Sur. Its a long drive and a bit risky as there are a lot of obstacles in the road during both the daytime and nighttime. At nighttime you are facing oncoming traffic with their high beams on and there are many areas with no streetlights at all so quite dark.

I wouldn't want to run into a cow or encounter an inebriated driver somewhere out there on the highway. Plus there is some navigating involved which is always easier in daytime when you can see better and stop and ask directions if you get lost.

You are better off with an ISKRA Travel or other reliable shuttle if you really need to get down to SJdS that same night. You can also consider staying overnight nearer to the airport but on the way to your destination, that way you can drive to your lodging (say somewhere near Masaya or on the Carretera a Masaya) then the next morning get on your way to your condo.

2) Once you get to SJdS will you need a rental car? No not really, but if you are into exploring different beaches and want to have your own schedule, you might enjoy the convenience. The nice beaches of SJdS are north or south of the bay a ten or fifteen minute drive from the town. For example, beaches to see sea turtles, learn to surf, swim, dive, etc.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde, Managua

2. Re: Rent car or hire taxi driver from Managua to condo by SJDS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2015, 14:16