We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jubilado rates -- retiree rates

Mt. Home, AR
3 posts
Save Topic
jubilado rates -- retiree rates

I am a retired from the Panama Canal (American) with a retirement card. Do hotels and restaurants still honor the cards with heafty discounts? What is the percentage now?

What are some local B&B's in El Valle de Anton, Boquete, and Cerro Punta? We intend to spend 3 weeks in April in Panama. Thanks for all responses. Doug

Mentioned in this post
Panama Canal
Panama Canal
16,181 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
El Valle de Anton
El Valle de Anton
Cocle Province, Panama
Boquete
Boquete
Chiriqui Province, Panama
Cerro Punta
Cerro Punta
Panama
Panama
Central America
1. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 December 2010, 02:05
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

Mary is right - you need to be a resident to get the discount - yes very strict and even then many businesses don't honor it - or they jack up the rates and then discount off that.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

In Boquete I suggest Boquete Garden Inn - click on my profile LN to read my review on the place. Beautiful setting, quiet, not far from town, helpful staff, a good point to explore from.

Mentioned in this post
Boquete
Boquete
Boquete Garden Inn
Boquete Garden Inn
893 Reviews
Boquete, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

The discount for hotels is 50% weekdays and 33% on weekends - but that is off their rack or regular rate - most hotels (all over the world not just here) have high "rack" rates. You may find that it's cheaper to get their special or internet rates than to ask for a discount.

The program was designed for low income Panamanian retirees, not for foreigners who have substantial income - unfortunately there is no distinction in the law so all retired residents can avail themselves of these discounts.

Also realize that the discounts mandated by law are not tax deductible or in any other way reclaimable by the business. Most small hotels and restaurants have low margins and these discounts can be a high burden for them.

Ask most hoteliers or restaurant owners and they will say that they have to increase their prices overall in order to cover the losses incurred for accepting these discounts.

End of rant....

Cheers,

Andrew

Las Margaritas/El...
Level Contributor
789 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

Hi!

Andrew, you are not ranting (LOL)!!!

I agree with you on the discounts. We very rarely use our pensionado discounts, unless we are staying at a chain hotel in the city.

I won't use the discounts at the various restaurants in our area and NEVER at the small fondas or family owned restaurants we frequent in the interior.

I even refused our discount at the hospital when I had my surgery last year. I felt I got a GREAT deal for my hospital stay with no insurance.

Mary

www.whypanama.com

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

Hey, Andrew, glad to see you here! Very well said!

I have been embarrassed by ex-pats that I have been with who ask for the discount on an inexpensive meal in one of the small area restaurants around here.......................

Unfortunately, alot of the retirees, even tho able to pay well, are CHEAP !

Glad you are back................you are back, right, lol? I love you man !

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,422 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

This is all very interesting as hopefully it's well known that some *books* lately are recommending Panama as a retirement destination due to the jubilado benefits.

And, just because someone is a retiree doesn't mean they are well-off. I live on a 1/4 of what I made while working --- thus, yes, we do live on beans and rice here and are grateful for them.

I'm interested in spending time in Panama because the canal (engineering) has always fascinated me and because my great-great-grandfather walked across the isthmus in 1849 to pick up a ship to get to California for the Gold Rush and because my nephew was on a film crew there 4 years ago and loved it.

So, you're telling me there are zero jubilado benefits, without being a legal resident? Did I get that right? If so, someone needs to encourage the people writing the books promoting Panama to be a bit more specific.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

I am aware of TOO many books touting Panama. And Yes, unless you are a resident there are no pensionado benefits here. That doesn't mean you have to live here year round, once you have your pensionado visa (much paperwork with an attorney to get you through it) if you re eligible, you would be able to live over there or here. There are also other jubliado benefits, discounts medically, and on utility bills, airlines, etc.

I wish the books would STOP promoting Panama - too many dern gringos living here now and complaining "It wasn't like this in the U.S.". In any case, I always recommend if one is interested to come and rent for 6 months here and there and see which part of Panama is for you, if any. If people come here from anywhere and think it will be just like where they came from, i.e. work ethic, garbage pickup, government immediately fixing roads with potholes, etc. they won't like it here. And, for ****** sake people, research climate and conditions in a Country before you even think about settling here. I think a lot of people need to realize that when they leave their own country and go to any third world country, they cannot go there with the same expectations they have in their own country.

We love it here, but we don't try to change the culture to fit what we desire. It is Panama - a third world country and one needs to accept it just the way it is or they won't be happy.. I will get off my soap box, now, lol. Hope this helps.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” - Michener

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

Be vary wary of the property pimps - the International Living types - advertising you can live in Panama on $1,000/month - ha good luck with that

Food in the grocery is not cheap, gas is not cheap, housing in the city is expensive - or in gringo arreas - living like a local in a small town is inexpensive however - but how many gringos want to do that?

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jubilado rates -- retiree rates

AMEN, those Int'l Living people - still pedaling INCORRECT info!!!. But CDY we do live on $1,000 a month - BUT our house and car are paid for......We don't eat out alot and live a modest lifestyle. Utilities are cheap, and if you know how to cook (and not buy the pkgd "gringo" foods packaged from Americer, it is not expensive to eat, IMHO. Gas is expensive everywhere, I think. Thanks, CDY !