We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Panama City

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Panama City

Hi All. I will be in Panama City for one night as a layover before going to Bogota, Colombia. Does anyone have a recommendation of what hotel and a safe area to stay in where I can quickly check in, walk around, eat, and explore the city before I have to get back on the plane the following morning? I am a foodie, so a good dining experience amongst the locals would satisfy me and be exciting. Will be going on Nov 21st so need to book hotel soon. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,973 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Panama City

The old centre - Casco Antiguo - is undergoing a lot of reconstruction work at the moment. Our experts on that area will probably pop up later, to give their advice.

Another alternative is to stay somewhere like El Cangrejo - easier to get in and out. I stayed in the Hotel Milan, and recommend that as a reasonable choice. There are a number of good places to eat around there, though there isn't much to see.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Panama City

Not much of a walking city. There are lots of bars and clubs on Calle Uruguay if that's your scene. I've done the overnight transit on the way to Colombia numerous times (sure wish the airlines would coordinate their flight schedules better!) I usually stay at the Radisson Decapolis. It's nice, has an excellent breakfast, and easy access to the highway that leads to the airport (which is 20 minutes away in the morning). The Hard Rock next door is a bit livelier, with an active bar scene. Proximity to Corredor Sur is an important consideration, you don't want to get stuck in morning traffic trying to get there from the Marriott, for example.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Panama City

Casco Viejo (Casco Antiguo) would be a good choice for the "check in, walk around, eat, and explore" requirement. Some very good restaurants, some with outdoor dining on a plaza for people watching. Really depends on your flight schedule (arrival and departure times) and your budget - give me those and I can be more specific.

Have a safe trip.

Steve www.panamanotes.com

4. Re: One night in Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2013, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Panama City