We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama City- A few questions

Long Island
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Panama City- A few questions

Hello,

We will be visiting Panama City for three days in the middle of November. What is the best way to get from the airport to the city. I am trying to find great restaraunts as food is very important to us. We like all kinds of food. The three recommendations that I have received are S'Cena, Manolo Caracol, and Casablanca. How are these? I cannot find any information or trip advisor reviews of S'Cena....Is it no longer open? For our day trips, we are thinking of doing a tour into the Embera Village one day. The other day I am thinking of either doing the aerial tram tour in the Gambo to see the rainforest or a boat ride through the canal to see the canal and wildlife. Any suggestions? What is the best way to see the canal? Is white water rafting safe on the Mamoni River or is it very adventurous? Sorry for all of the questions...this is a last minute trip! Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Mentioned in this post
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Manolo Caracol
Manolo Caracol
557 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Embera Tours Panama
Embera Tours Panama
236 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,085 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama City- A few questions

From Tocumen to the city ?

quickest - taxi (about $30)

cheapest - walk out of the airport and catch a bus

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama City- A few questions

@ LaLaLauren1 - Taxi is really the only practical way from the airport to the City. The MetroBus system does NOT take cash. It's also much easier if you have your hotel arrange for the airport transfer - about the same price, but fewer hassles.

Yes, S'CENA is open (great restaurant). I would replace Casablanca with Ego (opposite corner of Plaza Bolivar). Manolo Caracol is an experience (a good one). Add Cafe Rene on Plaza Cathedral and you've got my Casco Vioejo top list - although others will have different choices it's hard to get a bad meal is Casco Viejo.

Instead of the tram I would go to the Panama Rainforest Discovery Center [ http://www.pipelineroad.org/ ] and stop at the Miraflores Visitors Center on the way back to the City. Unless you want to be able to say you transited the canal I think the partial/full transit tours are way too expensive and take too long. The Embera village tours are worthwhile if you have the time (it's a long full day) we like [ www.emberavillagetours.com/About__Anne.html ] others offer cheaper, but none do it better.

Sorry, can't help with the river info.

Have a great stay.

Steve www.panamanotes.com

Edited: 24 October 2012, 08:57
Mentioned in this post
Plaza Bolivar
Plaza Bolivar
190 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Manolo Caracol
Manolo Caracol
557 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Rene Cafe
Rene Cafe
509 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Casco Viejo
Casco Viejo
9,699 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Panama Rainforest Discovery Center
Panama Rainforest...
181 Reviews
Gamboa, Panama
Embera Tours Panama
Embera Tours Panama
236 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Long Island
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama City- A few questions

Thank you for the suggestions!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama City- A few questions

I vote Manolo also !

5. Re: Panama City- A few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 18:16