We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire - is it worth it?

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
107 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire - is it worth it?

I've had a good look at the recent questions about car hire in Panama. I just can't decide if it's worth the hassle. On the Thrifty website a Hyundai Accent is priced at $60 for a week. With the obligatory insurance at $12 a day (from another thread) it works out at $110 a week. Is this what other people have been paying? And NO - I won't be driving in Panama City.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

It always seems to cost me a lot more than that !

Surely 12 x 7 = 84 - so that is $144, and I am not sure if that $12 is right. There always seem other add-ons, too.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

Unless the rates have changed in the last six months, mandatory insurance is either $18 or $22 per day, depending on the type of car. In April, a Hyundai Tucson, with a base price of $42 per day, cost $73 for the day when all the fees and taxes were totalled.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
107 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

$73 a day seems a ridiculous price to pay? Or is it just me? Is the public transport in Panama reasonable? We have about 3 weeks in Panama altogether. Air Panama is also an option - $80 from Panama City to Bocas del Toros.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

Dollar charge me $18.50 a day PCM - Paquete de Cobertura Minima - plus tax of course, so that is almost $20. That's on a Kia Picanto. They also charge various other sorts of insurance, which I might have been able to argue them out of.

When I hired from Avis at the airport it came out even higher.

Taxis - I never had much luck getting taxis in the street, so it depends if you are staying somewhere it is easy to get them.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

There are additional fees and taxes for Air Panama, as well. By the time you purchase a round trip ticket to and from Bocas del Toro, the cost will be $243 per person.

Probably the least expensive way to travel in Panama is by bus. LN and StxSteve are the experts on bus travel.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

Buses are the way to go thru Panama on a budget. Please do learn some basic Spanish phrases, because you will not be able to communicate with most of the population otherwise.

Bus travel is very easy. Take a taxi to the Bus Terminal @ Allbrook Mall. It is pretty easy to navigate and find the bus you need to take. Take a sweater as it is pretty

cold on the buses, especially like the overnight buses. Ear plugs would also be good as sometimes the drivers like their music. When you search this forum you will also see posts regarding bus travel here.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
107 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

Thanks LN

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

If you take a bus, I suggest you write down prior to going to the ticket booth at the main Terminal the name of the town, city, resort you plan on going to just in case

you do mis-pronouce the name of the destination. Also, when you board the bus, show it to the bus driver where you are going.......He will then know where you want to be dropped off. The bus drivers are very helpful and the buses are nice too.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

Please note that if you are going to Bocas del Toro, your destination will be Almirante. That is where you will meet the water taxis to take you to Bocas del Toro.

Mentioned in this post
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire - is it worth it?

AND if your destination is Bocas (Almirante) be sure to get the Express Bus there.

This site seems fairly accurate...

www.thebusschedule.com/pa/

Don't be afraid of the buses! It will be just dollars compared to so much more for the car.

My husband and I took buses all over Panama. Now on National Holidays, the buses are NOT a great option as buses are super crowded and you may wait to buy tickets, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
Get answers to your questions about Panama City