We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapolis - overnight versus a day trip

New Jersey
Level Contributor
780 posts
1,889 reviews
819 helpful votes
Annapolis - overnight versus a day trip
Save

I am currently looking at two options for Annapolis and would welcome your opinions. Option 1 would be to stop in Annapolis on the way to Washington DC. Option 2 would be to stay overnight in Annapolis then continue on to Washington DC. I have a modest list of things to see - 1. The Maryland State Capitol Building 2. Walk around the Naval Academy including visiting the museum 3. Walk around the historic center. The real question is about the museum at the Naval Academy. How worthwhile is it? If I skip the museum then I can do Option 1 otherwise I will have to do Option 2 because the museum is closed on Tuesdays. For a daytrip I would arrive on a Tuesday and for an overnight stay I would arrive on a Monday and see the museum shortly after arrival. Thank you in advance.

3 replies to this topic
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
446 posts
61 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Annapolis - overnight versus a day trip
Save

It's been a while since I've been to the museum, but I don't think it's enough of a "must see" to warrant an overnight stay. If you want an educational experience while visiting the academy, do a guided tour; the docents are quite good.

That said, you might consider an overnight anyway. The historic district is best seen in the evening, in my opinion. It's a bit livelier then, especially if you're coming on a weekday. Then do the state house and and academy tour the next day, and head into DC before the evening rush hours. Option 1 is certainly viable if you just want a quick look around.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
780 posts
1,889 reviews
819 helpful votes
2. Re: Annapolis - overnight versus a day trip
Save

Hi TMac29494 - Thank you very much for your reply. The comment about the museum is helpful so I will look into a guided tour of the Naval Academy. And I will surely visit several museums in Washington DC. I have decided to not stay overnight in Annapolis on this trip and just visit the Maryland State Capitol Building, go to the Naval Academy, walk around the historic district a little and then head to Washington DC before rush hour.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
446 posts
61 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Annapolis - overnight versus a day trip
Save

Sounds good, enjoy Annapolis & have fun in DC.

Reply to: Annapolis - overnight versus a day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.