We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodstock, NY
6 posts
We are planning a trip to Nantucket at the beginning of August and are looking for something off the beaten path on the water but yet accessible to good dinning, tennis, ect - Nothing pretentious but clean, charming and helpful staff

Any recommendations for an Inn or a Cottage?

What about Mudaket or another area outside of town (how far would it be from town?)

THANKS

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
52 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Location

Will you have a car? If you have a car then you can stay anywhere. If you don't want to be spending your time in a car - then I highly recommend looking close to town.

Cliffside Beach Club is pricey - but worth it. You are close to town, but on the beach. My favorite beach - Steps Beach - is right next to Cliffside - and the water is perfect and calm and they have umbrellas set up all day. You can have a decent priced meal at Jettie's - to the right of the club - or you can go all out and have lunch or dinner right there at the Galley. You can't lose at the Cliffside.

Let us know if you will have a car.

Woodstock, NY
6 posts
2. Re: Location

Thanks for the quick response -

Was not planning on having a car!

Would like to be on the water but off the beaten path - Could we cab it to dinner if we were in Sconset or Mudaket or are there a few places located in these towns - How far are these towns from "The Town"? Tennis?

Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Location

Madaket is about 6 miles from town; Sconset about 8. Both are served by shuttle buses. See http://www.shuttlenantucket.com/ for the schedule. Taxis are an option, and quite a bit more expensive.

Sconset has a few restaurants, including two very nice upscale ones (Summer House, with a main restaurant and an outdoor bistro, and Chanticleer) and a nice casual BYO place, the Sconset Cafe. Madaket just has the Westender, which I know nothing about since it closed and changed hands around 2007. There are tennis courts pretty near the Cliffside mentioned by bpilko; but not being a tennis player, I don't know how one gets to use them. I think they're public courts.

There are surprisingly few places actually on the beach on Nantucket. It's not like Florida or the Caribbean, where hotels line the beaches. Most of the B&Bs and restaurants are in town, which is built around the harbor, and most of the places outside of town are private or rental homes. The Cliffside is one of the few. There's the Summer House and Cottages and the Wade Cottages in Sconset. There's also the Wauwinet, a full-service $$$$ hotel well out of town with a shuttle boat service to town.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
52 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Location

Madaket is not a town - it's at one end of the island and there is a restaurant there - The Westender - which last time I went was pretty run down. Great drinks though and fabulous view. (it used to be a nice restaurant and then one day...poof - it turned into a casual beach place.) But that's it - no 'town' in Madaket.

Sconset is beautiful - but the town consists of a post office, a deli, a general store, liquor store - that's about it. If you do stay in Sconset you will be treated to great views, special walks (the bluff walk is amazing) - a great hotel in Sconset is The Summer House. It's very very nice and has a pool. Sconset is on the other end of the island - also a hike to the main town of Nantucket. Cab fare is killer - but they do have a shuttle you can check out called NRTA. See website: http://www.shuttlenantucket.com/. However...it isn't fun to wait for that shuttle when you are going out to dinner.

I think your best bet is to find a place on the outskirts of Nantucket town - a nice guest house/inn= you can walk into town and shop, have meals, walk the boats and art galleries. You can find tennis courts at Jettie's Beach which is also close to town.

The Beachside is actually a hotel - and it is right near Jettie's beach - near those tennis courts. It's name is deceiving because honestly - it's not ON the beach - but it has a pool and great location to Jetties and to Town. You can have dinner in town - or go to the Jetties for a great dinner on the deck or my favorite - The Galley Restaurant at the Cliffside Beach Club.

I have heard good things about The Cliff Lodge- which is on the outskirts of town - easy walk. Also - heard good things about The Pineapple Inn - also in town. Last year I went into the Veranda House for a Kitchen Tour - and it has been updated. Also - right in town. Even check out The Woodbox - which has maybe 5 rooms and is a short walk down the hill to town. Check out www.nantucket.net and they have a whole listing. I would make sure you can walk to town. And then....if you want to go to Sconset for a morning or afternoon trip to see the lighthouse and take the bluff walk...do it. Madaket is great for a sunset - but so is the Jetties and you don't have to pay the cabfare.

Good luck.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
52 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Location

I still stand by my earlier hotel choice: The Cliffside Beach Club. Not cheap - but ON the beach, well located, near tennis courts - private beach for patrons only with umbrellas. The staff at their restaurant is amazing - so I have to assume they are wonderful at the hotel part too. Imagine - waking up and walking out your door and you are in the sand. As the other tripadvisor said - it's the only place on Nantucket you can do that.

ps - nothing is cheap on nantucket!

6. Re: Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 14:26
Get answers to your questions about Nantucket
Recent Conversations