We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advice required

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip advice required

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will have 6 days in Croatia in June and want to do 3 days based in Split and 3 days in Dubrovnik (will drive between the 2). I know it's a short time in each location but really want to see both. We are early 30s, love the outdoors and being active, but also love to stop and have a few wines by the beach.

In Split, we want to have some island/boat time, visit Krka National Park (will drive), and spend time in Split. Would we be better doing a day tour of the islands, or just go to Hvar and spend a night there?

Split Daily Tours do a 5 island tour of the Blue Cave, Green Cave, Budikovac, Pakleni and Hvar, with about 40 minutes in the caves and 2 hours max at each of the islands. If we do the day tour, is it worth us not getting the tour boat back to Split and staying in Hvar for the night, returning by ferry to Split the next day?

TIA, and thanks for all the amazing advice in these forums!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Krka National Park
Krka National Park
3,521 Reviews
Sibenik-Knin County, Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Blue Cave Croatia Tour
Blue Cave Croatia Tour
90 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Green Cave
Green Cave
70 Reviews
Island of Vis, Croatia
9 replies to this topic
S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip advice required

With 3 days in Split I would do the 5/6 Island tour rather than staying on Hvar. I have not done this but cromansydney has a good one to recommend that he did recently...

That leaves you with one day for Krka (stop to see Primosten & Sibenik for a couple hours each) and another day for Split (recommend a couple hours in Trogir as well...you could do this on your way back from Krka for dinner possibly? or just visit on your Split day by water taxi or drive)

3 days Dubrovnik is good. 1 for Old Town, walk the walls, Mt Srd. Some day trip options....Mostar, Elaphite Islands, Lokrum, Montenegro. Also worth while is Cavtat...such a charming little town close to the airport. It can be reached by water taxi from Dubrovnik (about 45 minutes) or by bus. Good spot to go for lunch or dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Krka tours
Krka tours
196 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Sibenik
Sibenik
Sibenik-Knin County, Croatia
Trogir
Trogir
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Old Town
Old Town
14,645 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lokrum
Lokrum
119 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip advice required

I don't usually recommend one-night stays, but in this instance it could actually be much cheaper to stay in Hvar overnight than pay for two day excursions. Of course, you will miss out on seeing the other islands and you will need to unpack/pack, but you can spend more time exploring Hvar. Take the car jadrolinija.hr/docs/… which ports at Stari Grad (June is shoulder season so your accommodation host may allow you to check in early if there's no guests in it), then the next day get the car ferry from Sucaraj (Hvar) to Drvenik (mainland) and drive down the coast to Dubrovnik.

Mentioned in this post
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip advice required

Thank you both so much! Exactly the info I was after :)

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip advice required

Yes JOJO's plan is a good one too. The drive between Split and Dubrovnik is gorgeous, especially along the Makarska Riviera. You would miss this if you stayed on Hvar but you would get to drive around and see more of the Island. Which Im sure is equally as beautiful! Tough decision!

Edited: 16 January 2018, 08:31
Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Makarska
Makarska
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,840 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip advice required

If you want to do a 6 Island tour from Split, I recommend Waterworld Croatia. They are not cheap but worth every cent IMO.

I also like the drive between Split and Dubrovnik. Apart from spectacular scenery, you could stop in couple beautiful places along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Waterworld Croatia
Waterworld Croatia
454 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip advice required

Thank you, the Waterworld Croatia tour looks incredible!

Mentioned in this post
Waterworld Croatia
Waterworld Croatia
454 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
596 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip advice required

I would definitely look at spending half a day in Trogir. It is stunningly beautiful and has some great places to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Trogir
Trogir
Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip advice required

if you love the outdoors, sea kayaking on Hvar or even from Split is fun (www.andadventure.com), as is whitewater rafting in Omis (www.raftingomis.com). Solta, an island just 45 minutes from Split, less visited, but wonderful cycling with nicely marked trails. The Blue Cave trip is done by all agencies. Big difference is the food. You DO have to eat since it is a long day, many go to the Pakleni islands and drop you off at one of the waterfront places there....Split Sea Tours has its own private cove on Vis and the food is fabulous--grilled to order, wine, beer, and more important, peace and quiet! Once in Dubrovnik, going to the Miljet National Park, an island park, is lots of fun but since you will probably never get this close again, the day trip to Sarajevo is exotic and fabulous!

Mentioned in this post
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Split
Split
Omis
Omis
Blue Cave Croatia Tour
Blue Cave Croatia Tour
90 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Split Sea Tours
Split Sea Tours
173 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Sarajevo
Sarajevo
Sarajevo Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
9. Re: Trip advice required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2018, 10:35

Reply to: Trip advice required
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted