We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see...

Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to see...

Hi, trying to decide between Mljet, Cavtat and Korcula for a day trip during my week-long stay in Dubrovnik. What would you all recommend?

So far I am planning; Mostar & Kravice, Kotor, Lokrum, City Walls, Kayaking, GOT Tour and Cable Car. Should I leave any of these and do something else? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't think a week is long enough!

Mentioned in this post
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
Lokrum
Lokrum
118 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
City Walls
City Walls
1,385 Reviews
Kotor, Montenegro
Dubrovnik Cable Car
Dubrovnik Cable Car
10,435 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
10 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see...

Huh, it's very much packed in just one week. I would recommend Cavtat - as it is also least complicated to go there. Day trip to Mljet would take one full day, and if you want to do Korcula properly even longer

Mentioned in this post
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see...

Yeah, it will be a busy week. Thanks for your suggestion!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see...

That will also be an expensive week!

Personally for me, despite the cost, the city walls and cable car are essential experiences.

Lokrum I would possibly drop, it’s ok but for me not a wow factor, relatively expensive for what it offers and if you don’t take food and drink with you then this adds to the expense. It’s actually cheaper to go to Cavtat which doesn’t need a full day unless you relax and while away the time in a bar, have a meal, go for a stroll, swim etc.

The Three Island Cruise is one excursion I really enjoyed, very chilled and not stuck on a minibus. I self-drove to both Korcula and Kotor but not on the same trip. Long way but great scenery particularly towards Korcula. For me, Bay of Kotor is a bit like UK’s Lake District, scenery-wise.

I have zero interest in GoT, sorry. I’m not into kayaking either but I can imagine that’s a great experience if you like that sort of thing.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 03:04
Mentioned in this post
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
Bay of Kotor
Bay of Kotor
2,263 Reviews
Kotor, Montenegro
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see...

Thank your for your reply!

I know it will be expensive but there is so much I want to see when I’m there. I’m just trying to fit all that in, hopefully i’ll win the euromillions tomorrow...

I’m now thinking I might drop the additional trip to Mljet and just have a half day in Cavtat.

I can’t say I’m into kayaking (or have even tried it before!) but I’ve been told that there is a good kayak tour around the walls, so I thought I may as well give it a go.

Mentioned in this post
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see...

I think there are kayaking tours out to Lokrum with a stop off so that could kill 2 birds with one stone. About 3 hours i think.

Says it's suitable for beginners but i haven't plucked up the courage myself as it seems a long way in open water when you've no experience.

Mentioned in this post
Lokrum
Lokrum
118 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see...

Also, I've been debating between mijet and korcula. Korcula is a long day by coach, almost 4 hours before you sail to the island. Mijet appears to be much closer.

Cavtat is good for an evening option. I'm a bit in a minority but it doesn't do a lot for me; nice to watch the yachts while enjoying a cocktail though.

You could do walls, GOT and cable car on one day is pushed for time.

Mentioned in this post
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see...

Thank you for getting back to me, Fiona. We plan on doing the walls and GOT tour the day after we arrive and the cable car the afternoon we get there. One week today!

Brilliant idea about the kayaking and Lokrum tour - I’ll check that out!

Mljet looks lovely and although it’s quite far, I think it might be worth it. The ferry takes less than 2 hours.

Do you have any recommendations for what to do to relax in Dubrovnik? I realise I’ve planned a busy trip and it might be nice to just chill out the day before we come home. I’m not really a beach person!

Mentioned in this post
Lokrum
Lokrum
118 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Canada
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see...

THat is my issue with Cavtat asstaying at Sheraton we have seen the 3 beaches of "Dubrovnik riviera" I showed hubby the self guided game of thrones and we did all spots I had listed in old town, Fort, walls and Lokrum on Saturday. For evening walking how late are there things to do in old town and can you get to Buza bar area to look - not sure about drink yet. Can you do after sunset at cable car or is that too late.

Mentioned in this post
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see...

For relaxation I would recommend the Cave Bar More

http://cavebar-more.com/

http://cavebar-more.com/2cave.php

http://cavebar-more.com/galerija.php

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see...

Thank you, 424tarikd! Cavebar looks perfect!

Reply to: What to see...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted