We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon/evening cable car old town

Canada
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Topic
Afternoon/evening cable car old town

We are staying at the Sheraton and hubby should have some free time from conference tomorrow afternoon/evening. We walked through old town, walked the walls and visited Lokrum Saturday between the rain. Did Elaphite tour on Sunday and will go to Mostar Thursday, leave Friday. Thinking we may want a little more time in old town but it isn't totally necessary. Also looking at cable car and possibly the museum at the top. How much is museum and can you pay with credit card - and is it worth visiting. We haven't visited other museums here. Just trying to see how to best do this. The number 10 and 16a busses stop near here. We are both fit so haven't ruled out hiking up or down either. Looking for opinions and back up plans as rain is expected (could take tour by car from hotel to lookouts too)We could also get dropped down town after Mostar rather than hotel if we had the energy. Sorry for the long ramble.

Mentioned in this post
Lokrum
Lokrum
118 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
7 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon/evening cable car old town

Why not simply take a taxi to the top? And then return with cable car, then take the bus no 10 to your hotel. I believe you could also use the airport shuttle bus which leaves just by the lower cable car station

Canada
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon/evening cable car old town

Taxi from the hotel - possibly will probably head into old town first depending on how much rain we are getting this afternoon. Btw where we got off bus there is gradual sloped pathway with some stairs the eventually gets you near pile gate. Did the steeper steps up go to cable car. Also on way back does the 10 also stop right at cable car, the 16a did on our way back. Wish they had maps of those stops. To get back to hotel we basically kept walking up the road until we found a bus shelter and hoped for the best.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon/evening cable car old town

There are maps and lists of stations, but only for the city buses - not the suburban lines

https:/…

Canada
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon/evening cable car old town

Thanks. I did find information lacking for those suburban lines. And the bus shelter that I had found listed routes but not the 10 and 16 but there was a suburban poster so figured it might arrive.

Wednesday, we ended up taking route 16 downtown and arrived in old town around 2pm. We basically just wandered around the back streets a bit, I had a list of little shops but never really found them, maybe they change. We did go into the Franciscan Monastery and pharmacy museum. And did check out Buza bar. It ended up being hot and we headed up to the cable car around 5pm. Hung our in the viewing areas, then visited the Homeland War Museum at Fort Imperial. Then we walked over on the little trail to wait for sunset. We just arrived down the cable car in time to catch the route 16 back.

Mentioned in this post
Franciscan Monastery
Franciscan Monastery
701 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon/evening cable car old town

I hope you are enjoying yourself.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon/evening cable car old town

Back to real life now Pirate. We went to Mostar on Thursday, flew to Dublin yesterday. Flew home from Dublin this morning arrived 10:40am local St. John's time. Now to adjust the body clock. Great time, hope to go again.

Mentioned in this post
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon/evening cable car old town

Glad to hear that you had a good time. I'd love to read some of your reflections and perhaps helpful hints. Also, hope your St J weather is summery.

Reply to: Afternoon/evening cable car old town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted