We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing a child scooter

Bristol, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bringing a child scooter

We are coming to Croatia for 2 weeks in Jul with our 5year old. Going to Dubrovnik, Mljet, Bol, Sibenik, Split. Our son is not a great walker so we usually take his 2 wheel scooter wherever we go. Are pavements in Croatian town easy to scoot? Or are they mostly cobbled?

Any info gratefully receiced as it is rather bulky and takes half a suitcase space so dont want to bring it unless it can be used.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Bol
Bol
Brac Island, Croatia
Sibenik
Sibenik
Sibenik-Knin County, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
9 replies to this topic
S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing a child scooter

Wouldn't be a great idea in Sibenik Old Town. The streets are slippery cobblestones and there are stairs. Dubrovnik old town is mostly cobblestone & stairs as well. Lots of cobblestone in Split too. He would be able to use in on the Riva in Split. Not sure about Mljet or Bol. I would google images of each Old Town and have a look yourself to decide whether or not it would work. I think it would be too uneven in most places and personally would leave it at home.

Mentioned in this post
Sibenik
Sibenik
Sibenik-Knin County, Croatia
Old Town
Old Town
14,190 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Bol
Bol
Brac Island, Croatia
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing a child scooter

If you use the Street View option in Google Maps, you can pretty well figure out the condition of every single street

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing a child scooter

As others have said, majority of streets cobbled and/or very slippery and lots and lots of steps. Outside of the city walls the traffic is very busy

It's very busy in July especially in Dubrovnik when the cruise liners are in, I really wouldnt recommend a child on a scooter.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing a child scooter

Having been to Dubrovnik many times, I agree with the above responses. I don't know your circumstances but my inclination as a parent would be to develop strategies for " training walks" with lots of praise for the effort.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,551 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing a child scooter

I think it would work in Split and Dubrovnik. What about finding a cheap scooter that you could abandon if it all gets too much and you find you are carrying it more than he is scooting on it?

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing a child scooter

Jude C, I've seen young kids on tricycles, no head protection, dodging the soccer players in front of the cathedral, but they were locals and well seasoned in the literal ups and downs of the cobblestones. Your suggestion of a cheap or secondhand scooter is a good one, but the quality and safety of it could be of concern. Maybe here in Canada we are overly cautious, but safety factors are top priorities. I wonder if a Dubrovnik expert might give suggestions as to where a scooter could be purchased.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing a child scooter

No, we do not recommend

Bristol, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing a child scooter

Thank you everyone. Look like we ll just leave it at home.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,551 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing a child scooter

To be honest, in July, I wonder how much city walking you will do - I am guessing it will be very hot.

Reply to: bringing a child scooter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted