We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one full day in dubrovnik

toronto
Level Contributor
808 posts
1 review
Save Topic
one full day in dubrovnik

hi all,

what would you do if you had only one full day from 8 am -to whenever in Dubrovnik? The date is August 17th.

I'm planning on getting up early to see /hike old town. What time does cruise crowd get in?

Then we would like to head to beach and I have Lokrum in mind. Any thoughts as to whether this is a good choice?

lastly at night time we want to head to old town area for some drinks and food..nothing too pricey as we are on budget and mostly local places. Suggestion on this?

How does this schedule look? Anything else I can squeeze in our schedule ?

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Lokrum
Lokrum
124 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
16 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

I'm thinking you are on a cruise. Have you read any information on the old city and its history? We have been many times, and never tire, but here's what I suggest. Get into the city early, and walk to the Ploce Gate,taking the entrance to the walls as early as possible after they open. Take your time, at least a couple of hours, as the view is stunning. You can stop for a cold drink or ice cream as you walk around. You could then visit the Franciscan Monastery and other important buildings in the town. There are terrific lunch spots both on the harbour, and near the daily morning market. A cable car trip to the top of the mountain, and time spent in the war museum will give you forever memories. There are two bars, Buza 1 and 2, just outside the walls, overlooking the Adriatic , and the view makes up for the low grade wine. When you are ready for dinner, there are many opportunities. Just being there, soaking up the atmosphere can sooth your soul.

Mentioned in this post
Ploce Gate
Ploce Gate
138 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Franciscan Monastery
Franciscan Monastery
715 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Hotel Adriatic
Hotel Adriatic
320 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
toronto
Level Contributor
808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

no not on a cruise..but we get there 11 pm thrusday night and have full day friday to explore. Then Saturday morning we take ferry to HVAR.

Thanks for some of suggestions above.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

Tina, if this is you first visit, one day in Dubrovnik will not be enough. Since you are going in August, know that it will be crowded, and hot. Dress in cool clothes, comfortable footwear( no heels or flip flops) and carry water. We have never been concerned with safety in Dubrovnik, have found people friendly, though not over-the-top North American new best friend type. Feel free to send me a p.m. if you have any specific questions. If the experts chime in, you'll get lots of great suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

You can check the cruise ship schedule online. It will tell you if any are due, time of arrival and departure. Currently showing only one due, arriving at 08:00 and leaving at 15:00.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

If you're walking the walls they are best done early due to the heat so an early start will give you a head start.

Lokrum is fabulous and a must in my view plus lots of sunbathing spots

You can wander the old town in an evening whilst looking for food, lots of places to choose from, you may be able to squeeze in an early evening/sunset trip on the cable car if you still have some energy

Mentioned in this post
Lokrum
Lokrum
124 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

Walls open at 8am. I recommend starting at opening, take your time and enjoy a couple of hours. There is a website that you can check Cruise ship arrivals. It looks like there is only 1 ship in on August 17th. Good day to be there!

www.portdubrovnik.hr/index.php…

https:/…

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

Lokrum is a great choice. For drinks I recommend Dodo beach bar, excellent atmosphere and drinks.

You must climb the city walls in the morning!

Mentioned in this post
Lokrum
Lokrum
124 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

I would not miss watching the sunset after ride with the cable car

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

toronto
Level Contributor
808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

Thank you thank you all!

YOu're right there is one cruise on friday august 17th so not too bad then

So is this order good?

- get up early enough to be at wall for 8 am. is there a fee? do we need cash for enterance?

- go to lokrum, should we uber it from wall? or is bus easy access there?

- Have lunch in lokrum area, DODO bar

- Head back to the wall to get cable car, is this where we catch cable car to watch sunset? what time should we be there?

- spend night walkign around in the town.

any other advice?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

If you walk fully around the walls you can get off them in the old port/ploce area where you can pick up the shuttle boat to lokrum. It's 120 kuna including return boat and entrance.about 10 mins journey

Walls are 150 i think cash or card.

Cable car is outside of the walls, exit at ploce gate (,you'll come back into the old port and ploce gate is then to the right through the main port gate) ,round corner and then left into the main road, it's sign posted from there, there's a little bus station at the bottom if i recall correctly. Think it's also 150hrk return, cash or card. Not sure what time sunset will be in August was around 8:30 when i left yesterday but there may be a queue so perhaps allow around an hour before

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik Cable Car
Dubrovnik Cable Car
10,693 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
toronto
Level Contributor
808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: one full day in dubrovnik

what do you mean by no flip flops? So what kind of shoes should we take for walking around isalnd of dubrovnik, hvar and split in august.

Reply to: one full day in dubrovnik
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted